Steering gear lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering gear lube?

What type lube do you use in your steering gear? mine is Ross in 55 president? I know this subject has been asked many times but I couldn't find it in the search.
    Thanks Barry

Studebaker International sells the lube by the tube, "Semi-fluid steering box grease". It is in the catalogue, I think it is pn 801651. The tube does not state its make-up, however one tube is generally enough to fill an empty steering box.
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Semi-fluid grease "00" grade. Check flaps

Comment

I know that you didn't ask about this ...BUT...
        When you do a grease job on the 55, MAKE SURE to get grease out the TOP of the thrust bearings at the kingpins.
        It has to come out the top to get rid of the old dried up grease in the bearing.
        This will go a long way toward easy steering.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I use Kendall 999. I believe that is the number (I don't want to go down three flight of stairs, and back up, to check.) I used to sell the tubes for $2, but have no spares now.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I use Kendall 999. I believe that is the number (I don't want to go down three flight of stairs, and back up, to check.) I used to sell the tubes for $2, but have no spares now.
            I just checked a comparison chart and the Chevron equivalent to Kendall L999 is "Chevron Dura-Lith@ Grease EP NLGl 00".
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

the cam and lever design ROSS is supposed to take 80-90 mineral gear oil. The box must be in good condition in order for this oil to not leak out. The bushings must be tight and the seal must be good. It is common for people to use grease of some kind in order to attempt keeping these boxes lubricated. the SAIGINAW boxes require the semi fluid grease. SI sells the grease, they're proud of it and who knows what it actually is.
              Originally posted by Michelles Pops View Post
              What type lube do you use in your steering gear? mine is Ross in 55 president? I know this subject has been asked many times but I couldn't find it in the search.
              Thanks Barry

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
              X