no Stude-Packard love today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no Stude-Packard love today...

Strange sequence of events on the way home from my morning drive in the Stude. Rambling down a fairly major road at about 35mph a Packard approaches me from behind. Get to a traffic light, no other traffic around, the Packard stays behind me. Light turns green, we both drive off, Packard still behind me. This repeats itself for about 4 traffic lights....hmmm, maybe the guy in the Packard just wants to hang out with a Stude. Okay, whatever...continue down the road, and it narrows to a point of either you turn left into my neighbourhood, or stay right and go straight. Packard guy still glued to Stude's butt and turns left into my 'hood. So I get the bright idea this guy maybe wants to chat cars, after all, he's been following me for 'bout 5 or 6 minutes now...so I ease the Stude over to the curb just before my street, and then Packard guy drives past me...wtf??...okay buddy, I'm going to follow you now and find what's up. Packard guy takes the next right, so do I, and then Packard guy makes a quick U turn and parks, I pull up beside him and open up the conversation with "nice Packard"..."what year", his responses are fairly short, and I get the feeling he doesn't really want to talk that much...maybe he's one of these cats that doesn't like "modified" cars, who knows...but never once during the short conversation did he say anything about the Stude. Anyways, he was picking up a buddy and going out to Cochrane, a town just NW of my city to a car show. The big old Packard was a 50 2-door, black in color....cool side and rear profile, too bad it has a face only a mother could love. Has great custom/rodding potential...but didn't think he would want to discuss that. Man that was weird and kinda awkward. Cheers, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Hey Junior. I have had some of the same experiences. Had a Packard guy close by, I tried to socalize with. He came right out and told me Studes were not on the same level with Packards. Finally, I said: You are right. I have had both and Packards are not nearly as stylish as Studes. AND they are half the fun. Course I have the same thing with all the "OTHER" brands. LOL

Comment

I'm happy to report that I've not had such an experience. In fact, at the Saturday morning Coffee Cruise here in town, one of the few people I've actually gotten to know at all is the owner of a beautiful Packard Caribbean convertible. He loves the Lark, and unlike a few Packard owners I've read about here, doesn't hold his nose up to the company over the "Packardbakers". He considers the makes "cousins", and said that they did what they had to do to try and survive. How's that for a positive outlook?
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

And in the Calgary area, the Studebaker Club and the Packard club have an annual joint picnic at the Bunn's home in Langdon. Everyone gets along fine. So on the club level, in Calgary, what you describe is certainly atypical.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          And in the Calgary area, the Studebaker Club and the Packard club have an annual joint picnic at the Bunn's home in Langdon. Everyone gets along fine. So on the club level, in Calgary, what you describe is certainly atypical.
          oh, I sure hope my original post did not come off like I was hating on the Packard crowd, which totally was not my intent. Just saying that it was really strange that a Packard would follow me right into my residential district, 8am Sunday morning, then pass me by without so much as a wave or thumbs up. Mr. Packard was not very talkative today, but did answer all of my questions...just saying that there was no stude-packard love today, but there was no hate either...and the situation was awkward.

A couple of years back, I had to go to the spring shop (Standens) to pick up some shims to dial-in my pinion angle...the parts guy as it turns out had a Packard and invited me to the picnic in Langdon which was coming up the next weekend, but I could not make it. Point being, that I know there is Stude Packard love in the city. regards, Junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I have & love Studebakers, Packards, & Packardbakers, and enjoy both clubs, but Stude folks are the best

Comment

Working...
            X