Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need 64 Hawk PS Pressure and Return Hose Routing Picture!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Need 64 Hawk PS Pressure and Return Hose Routing Picture!

Does anyone have a 64 Hawk with original power steering? Mine came without, I added it years ago, but now that I've had to replace all the hoses, I need a picture of where the pressure and return hose clip mounts to the left fender apron near the voltage regulator. If you have a 64 GT with original power steering, can you take a picture and post it here? Hey, Thanks!
    Dan

I have a '63 with power steering and I assume that it is identical to a '64, but I wont have time to photograph it until Sunday. If no one else replies, I will get you some photos then.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

A '63 is NOT the same as a '64. '64 was the first model year, both in Hawks and Lark types, that the pressure and return hoses were plumbed to go rearward from the control valve and then loop forward to the pump. I suppose that the longer overall hose length reduced the stresses on the fittings, since there was more flexibility in the hoses. '63 was the last year to use the spring and sleeve to hold the pressure and return hoses away from the exhaust manifold. '64 hoses were attached to the fender apron with a double clamp as was used in holding the hoses on the bottom of the frame.

Comment

Jerry, you're right on target! Now if someone will post a picture, it'll be great! Thanks. Dan

Comment

Hi, fellow Studebloggers.
          Does anyone own a 64 Hawk with original power steering? If so, can you post a picture of the left fender apron showing the power steering pressure and return hoses clipped to the apron near the voltage regulator. Thanks!
          Dan,

Comment

Dan. I've got a 64 gt hawk in the middle of restoration and it still has the factory lines all hooked up. I'll see if I can get a shot of them tomorrow when there's more light to get a better picture. Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve. If its got an original A/C, I could also use a picture of the right apron, also. Dan

Comment

Dan. went out and looked at the hawk this morning. The hoses come out of the back of the pump and then go almost to the steering sector, make a 180 circle and go down to the valve. There is a wire tie looking thing with a push in clip to the bottom of the inner fender and thats it. Couldn't see taking a picture of it pretty simple. Car dosen't have AC wish it did because I'am sure I'll have to add it to get the wife in there in the hot months. If you feel you need a picture I'll see what I can do. It's kind of dark down there and not sure if they will turn out. Steve.

Comment

Steve, which part are you describing as the steering sector? Yeah, if you can go ahead and post a picture, that'll make it a lot clearer for me. Thanks! Dan

Comment

Here's one I have of the control valve removed from the car that shows the hose connections:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0372.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1683789

I will look to see if I have any routing pictures. I know the two piston ram hoses clamp to the frame rail by the front spring.

64 Hawks also have a spring tensioner that mounts to the firewall. I've never seen a picture of where it is supposed to go but know it exists.

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Here's another with my engine out. Not the best but maybe it helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Fender Skirt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1683790

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen , I'll take those photo's out to the Hawk and see what I figure out. Thanks. Dan

Comment

Dan. I dont know if these will help. It's as I said kind of dark down in there and with all the stuff in the way hard to get a good shot of them. But they come from the back of the power steering pump and then go back almost to where the steering column hooks to the steering sector. They make a 180 turn there and then go down to the ram and valve on the tie rods. Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X