Avanti pitman arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti pitman arm

Do the late Lark types, Hawks, etc use the same PITMAN arm as the Avanti NON power steering does.....We are using an Avanti steering box in a 59 Lark and the pitman arm from, I think, a 62 Lark does not fit the Avanti box....The serrations are wrong......I am thinking that the later pitman arms will work, but, not real sure.....Any help/advice would be appreciated

The one '64 Daytona I parted out did not use the same Pitman arm as the Avanti.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the Avanti uses the Saginaw box, while the 59/60 Lark..I do know uses the Ross box.

Both ends are different. The Saginaw pitman arm has a larger hole (more splines), while the shaft is smaller in diameter and solid, requiring a different cover, steering wheel and horn setup.

The cover or mast assembly must be changed, because of both the shaft diameter difference and the signal mechanism/wheel design.

I reciently did this swap on my Conestoga. Removed the Ross and installed the Saginaw. I tried all I could to use the original mast...no luck. The bearing swap is somewhat easy, the signal mechinsim/horn/steering wheel is not doable. A lot of wasted time.

Mike

Comment

Jack and Mike.....Thanks for the information, I guess I will have to go to SI for a pitman arm for the Avanti box......Bummer for sure......I am pretty sure that what is in the car right now came out of a 62 Daytona 4 speed car, which should be Saginaw, and the pitman arm just won't work......anyway, again, thanks guys for your input.....

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Jack and Mike.....Thanks for the information, I guess I will have to go to SI for a pitman arm for the Avanti box......Bummer for sure......I am pretty sure that what is in the car right now came out of a 62 Daytona 4 speed car, which should be Saginaw, and the pitman arm just won't work......anyway, again, thanks guys for your input.....
          The Avanti uses a Ross box. You may want to rethink this as the parts are generally NLA.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The Avanti uses a Ross box. You may want to rethink this as the parts are generally NLA

Now, that is news, I would not have thought it.......Guess I need to take a look at the box and search for a name on it.....So, what was the last Ross box used in Studebakers, maybe, 1960 .....I wonder if one of those would fit.....Thanks for the information

Comment

I have used them (Lark Saginaw) pittman arms on an Avanti Ross box. You have to add several new splines with a jewelers file to make it work. But it's not too hard. The Lark type have several spots that are blank on the splines, kind of like a keyed area.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ross boxes used on Hawks through 1964. Used on Studebaker Avanti and Avanti II for many years.
                David L

Comment

Thanks to all that responded to my question, I got an education on this subject for sure, I did find a NOS non power steering pitman arm and purchased it.....It now resides on the Avanti box in a 59 2 door post Studebaker......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Working...
                  X