Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Parking brake handle spring, 1947 Studebaker Champion

Bill Jarvis

So short of checking the '47-'50 Chassis Parts Catalog, I would guess that your car needs the Type "B" Spring, so what is it's Part number?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      So short of checking the '47-'50 Chassis Parts Catalog, I would guess that your car needs the Type "B" Spring, so what is it's Part number?
      StudeRich, "Type A" to "Type G" refers to the entire parking brake handle assembly, covering 1947 to 1950 model years. Type A includes all 6G and 14A cars with left hand drive, plus early 7G and 15A convertibles. Part 523222 is also used on Type D, which is all 6G and 14A cars with right hand drive. ...... 7G and 15A (Types B and E) cars use a different spring, 523964, but if the part book drawing is anywhere close to accurate, it too is complete different from mine. 1949 and 1950 cars have a very different parking brake assembly, with a coil spring on a release button. I did wonder if a 1946 parking brake might have gotten into my car (and also what it looks like), but that is very unlikely as my car had final assembly on May 25, 1947.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

I think this is what you have. It's a revised part to replace the original: Click image for larger version

Name:	6Ghandbrake_NEW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1683652
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          I think this is what you have. It's a revised part to replace the original: [ATTACH=CONFIG]27497[/ATTACH]
          Thank you very much, Dwain. I think this is exactly the information that we need.
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

For anyone with a 1947 Studebaker, and wanting to replace this spring: The drawings in the 1947-1950 Parts Catalogue for Type A and Type D parking brake handle assemblies have two mistakes: (1) the collar and the original spring are not shown. (2) the drawing shows the replacement spring 523222, but does not show it installed correctly. Use the service bulletin and drawing shown above in Dwain Grindinger's post.
            Last edited by Greenstude; 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
              For anyone with a 1947 Studebaker, and wanting to replace this spring: The drawings in the 1947-1950 Parts Catalogue for Type A and Type D parking brake handle assemblies have two mistakes: (1) the collar and the original spring are not shown. (2) the drawing shows the replacement spring 523222, but does not show it installed correctly. Use the service bulletin and drawing shown above in Dwain Grindinger's post.
              Hi Bill. Sounds like that green Stude is getting lost of TLC as it should! My 47 4 door is in a fellows garage having new floors, doors, trunk, and fenders installed. By end of the year it will be back and next year on the road. My question in on the parking brake handle. My father's 48 W3 car had a push button on the end to release it. My 4 door 47 and my 47 convertible Champions do not have this pushbutton. The interesting thing is I was reading a write up on the 47's I have from back in the day, and it had the push button like my father's had. I wonder if it was a change that went back and forth?
              Regards

Neil

Comment

Hi Neil ..... Glad to learn that you are making good progress with your car. When it is finished, I hope you have as much fun with it as we have had with ours. ..... According to the parts manual, the push-button release on the parking brake handle was used on 1949 and 1950 cars (8G 9G 16A 17A). Probably it would not be a big job to replace the handle on a 1947 or 1948 model with one of these.
                Last edited by Greenstude; 09-14-2013, 05:29 AM.
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                  Hi Neil ..... Glad to learn that you are making good progress with your car. When it is finished, I hope you have as much fun with it as we have had with ours. ..... According to the parts manual, the push-button release on the parking brake handle was used on 1949 and 1950 cars (8G 9G 16A 17A). Probably it would not be a big job to replace the handle on a 1947 or 1948 model with one of these.
                  Hi Bill. I just got a chance to look at where I saw the pushbutton type in a 47 car. It is no an original brochure, but in a 1973 Special Interest Auto article on the 47 Convertible. It shows a 47 champion dash with the pushbutton. Most likely it was changed and came from a 49 or newer car.
                  I hope you had a good summer and are having a good fall with the 47 green Champion!

Regards

Neil

Comment

Working...
                  X