PDA

View Full Version : Repro Gas Tanks & Gas Tank Commonality

JoeHall
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
I have not yet heard back from tanksinc.com, on my suggestion that it may be profitable for them to repro Stude tanks. I mentioned the 53-64 C/K models specifically to them, but now wonder about feasibility of a common "core" tank, sort of one size fits all, with minimal modification required to tailor it to a specific model application.

I am aware filler neck location is different among various models, but does anyone know if the mount holes & sender unit hole location are same for most/all 53-66 Studes? If mounts and senders are same, maybe they would make a core tank, with "blanks" for the filler neck holes. Similarly, they could install a fuel supply "straw" in all of them, to block off if not needed. That would increase their potential market, and therefore maybe convince them it would be worth doing.

I am not ready to give up on tanksinc just yet. They make lots of repro tanks for other classics, and I know they could do the same for us, if we could convince them it would be profitable. So, does anyone know about commonality of the mounts & sender location, or anything else applicable?

Thanks

cutitup
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I just put a54 stude tank in a 60 lark fit fine I bought a new tank for a lark they look basicly the same mouting holes are a little different

Jeff_H
09-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I got one of the last NOS lark station wagon tanks that SASCO had for my '53K. The only real difference was one of the reinforcements on the flange/seam for the hanger to the frame was 1" off and I had to rotate the hanger on the other side (one goes into the the trunk floor) about 45 deg. The filler neck angle needed a tweak too as it was a bit too high and couldnt get the hose on otherwise.

I'd think it pretty easy to tool a tank that would fit both by having the mounts with extra holes, etc. I am not sure how much different the '53-'58 sedan tanks are from the lark tanks but with the rear filler vs the side, probably a fair amount.

dean pearson
09-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I have a decent tank out of my 52 hard top commander up for grabs, don't know what else it would fit though???

It doesn't fit my tubbed frame any longer.

Dean.

Blue 15G
09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Just going from memory here (dangerous at my age), but I think the 53 to 58 sedan tanks are narrower due to the spare tire well that those models had. But would that be able to be compensated for by different mounting hardware, etc? I don't know!

I do agree that it would be great to see repro gas tanks available.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

TX Rebel
09-12-2013, 02:02 PM
the 53-58 sedan tank is about the same tank as 49-52, and can be made to fit pretty e-z.
Dean, I can use your tank for my '51. Let me know.