• Show
Clear All

• v-8 fuel pump??

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1740497

My fuel pump (with glass bowl) is leaking. I am confused as to which one to replace it with. Mine has a glass bowl but the replacement glass bowl version isnt listed for a 1959 lark 259 v8.
    can I get a replacement to match this from a vendor here such a Stude Int. or should I get a rebuild kit that I did find listed for the glass bowl type pump.
    thanks
    Dave

I have the same one on a shelf and will be putting a kit in it for future use Yes, V8- Mine is a Carter. I suppose the filter may come clean with some type of solvent. Although someone might have it. Let me know if you find a source. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's important to know what the fuel pump is leaking. Is it leaking gas or oil? Where is it leaking? Is it leaking around the mounting gasket, fuel bowl gasket, diaphragm, or pivot pin hole?

There are some leaks that can indicate that the gaskets need tightening or replacing, but the fuel pump itself is OK. A perforated diaphragm will always mean rebuild or replace.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Contact Dave Thibault. Put his name in the Advanced Search box upper right of this page, or look in the card file section last page or so of Turning Wheels. He has all and knows all of what you speak.

Comment

Just to add to what JClary said, be sure it did not allow gas into the oil. Smell the dip stick and look to see if you are magically gaining oil!

Comment

The OP's Pump IS a real Carter and very much a keeper, you need to get the Studebaker Vendor re-build Kit for this type, rather than an inferior New Pump.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the leak appears to be coming from between the 2 halves that are bolted together. There is no extra oil in pan and the pump still works fine. Its just leaks (externally)
              So if this pump is a "keeper" then I assume I should just get a kit to rebuild it???
              thanks for all the info guys .......this is my 1st Stude and somewhat confusing to me.
              Dave

Comment

Really no matter where the fuel comes from, we can be sure since it is the original OEM Studebaker type Pump that, if not original to the Car, it is quite old and ready for the Ethanol Resistant Diaphragm included in the Kit anyway. So yes rebuild it.

If the stone filter cannot be blown out clean with compressed air or soaked to clean it up, there is a screen supplied in the kit to replace it, or some kind of paper Fuel Filter could be modified to fit it like used in the '63-'64 metal bowl Carter pumps.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

fuel pump

Originally posted by deves2 View Post
                  the leak appears to be coming from between the 2 halves that are bolted together. There is no extra oil in pan and the pump still works fine. Its just leaks (externally)
                  So if this pump is a "keeper" then I assume I should just get a kit to rebuild it???
                  thanks for all the info guys .......this is my 1st Stude and somewhat confusing to me.
                  Dave
                  There are a variety of fuel pump configurations that will fit the only important part is the pump lever. These pumps can be configured in a variety of ways, with no bowl, metal bowl, short or long glass bowl, they all work the same. Also the top components are interchangeable with many of the lower components. Over the years anything could have been mixed and matched. I have a box of about a dozen fuel pumps and I was able to mix and match just about every combination. As far as "rebuilding" that can be all things to all people. The kits usually do not come with the diaphgram preattached. I rebuilt all the pumps I have and the kits come with the diaphgram loose and must be reattached to the brass plunger assembly.This is where it gets trickey, some rebuilders grind the rivet off to detach the old diaphgram and drill and tap the center of the shaft and reattach with a machine screw, while others press the rivet apart with a hydraulic press with out wasting any material and rerivet the assembly back together. I have done it both ways but I prefer the pressing and reriveting, when the job is done you can't tell it was ever apart. Both procedures require a reasonable amount of care for a good job. If a kit is available with the diaphgram preattached all the better, it will cut the work in half, but it is still trickey to separate the fulcrum arm from the diaphgram. With some limited perserverance it is doable. It would be a whole lot easier to buy a replacement pump. Dave

Comment

altair (Dave) man, I don't have any idea WHERE you are getting your "unattached Diaphragms" but you will scare away any novice backyard Mechanics with all this extra very difficult work!

Those of us in the SDC know to buy the kits from Studebaker Vendors, and they are a "drop-in" installation.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks everyone for you replies. I ordered the parts today. if i screw up the rebuild I can order another kit!!!!.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        altair (Dave) man, I don't have any idea WHERE you are getting your "unattached Diaphragms" but you will scare away any novice backyard Mechanics with all this extra very difficult work!

Those of us in the SDC know to buy the kits from Studebaker Vendors, and they are a "drop-in" installation.
                        Very well and good to know I got my kits from Houghton in NewYork thanks Dave

Comment

Isn't the Web a Wonderful thing Dave?
                          You NEVER know WHAT you are getting, unless you have actually been to their "Brick and Mortar" Building!
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X