GT Hawk Radiator Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: GT Hawk Radiator Hoses

I'm in the process of replacing all the hoses on my 62 GT and I cannot find an upper radiator hose that will fit. I checked Rock Auto, NAPA, Chuck Collins and SI. I got one from NAPA and returned it when it didn't fit, then I ordered one from SI and it was exactly the same as the one from NAPA. I checked the photos of the hoses on Rock Auto and Studebaker Parts.com and they are all the same. Has anyone had this problem before? If these supposed correct hoses won't fit, does anyone know of a part no. that will? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to reuse the old hose. Thanks.
    Roger W. List
    Proud Studebaker Owner

It must be Supercharged or has the wrong Fan Shroud or something, because I have sold dozens of these and never had one not fit.

Wrong Radiator Inlet Tube or location from a Repair or replacement Radiator?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A picture is worth 1000 words...
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Does the replacement hose simply need to be trimmed to fit?
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I've had the car since it was 18 months old and everything is original. I've replaced the hose before (maybe 40 years ago,) and had no trouble finding a hose at that time. The radiator has been repaired, but it has the original core and all the tanks. I don't see how trimming it would work as it doesn't even come close to the thermostat housing. I was questioning the supercharger issue though. Is it possible that these hoses are actually for supercharged engines but somehow got the part numbers mixed up and are being sold for non-supercharged engines? In my mind, that would be the only logical answer. I'll try to post a photo tonight as I agree this is pretty hard to describe. Thanks for the replys.
          Last edited by Roger L.; 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM.
          Roger W. List
          Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Anything is possible when it comes to older cars and FLAPS. Many parts numbers for older cars are being combined to eliminate slower moving inventory. I discovered that the hard way with my '69 Corvette. I needed an alternator belt and went to Pep Boys and NAPA both...they each listed it in their guides but the belt was not correct. It was the correct length but not the width and depth. The supplied belt would flip over in the pulley. I ended up paying twice the price for a reproduction belt from a dedicated Corvette supplier...it was right and fit properly.

Hoses may be the same way...manufacturers combining part numbers to reduce the number of hoses to make.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Here are some photos, I sure hope that someone can identify the new hose. It's pretty obvious, but the new hose is on the bottom and my old one is on the top. I don't see any possible way that new hose can fit properly given how differently it is shaped from the old one. Another thought, could the new hose be for an air conditioned car? Mine does not have either an air conditioner or a supercharger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6161.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1683611Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6165.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1683612Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6171.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1683613
              Last edited by Roger L.; 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM.
              Roger W. List
              Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Looks to me like you could cut a couple of inches off the new one and it would fit like a glove.
                sals54

Comment

The upper Hose (Old) has had the Thermostat Housing end incorrectly cut off, the Lower New Hose is correct, do not cut the wrong end, you take the required amount off of the Rad. end about 4 inches, and it fits fine if you have the correct T-Stat Housing pointed close to 45 degrees toward the Left Head light and level with the Water Manifold.

Yes the New Hose matches the ones I have in stock HSE082.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2013, 10:38 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X