Studebaker Bolt pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Bolt pattern

As the brand new owner of a project 53 Commander Starlight Coupe...that needs TLC, and a Mopar Muscle Car Collector, I have a quick question for the membership. I have not picked up the project yet but would like to know if the wheel bolt pattern is 4.5 on 5 or 4 3/4 on five. I have 4 flat tires and when I retrieve it I would like to go prepared. All my Mopar stuff is 4.5 on 5 and that would certainly be nice. I simply forgot to measure when I looked at the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

4.5 inches.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    65 Sports Sedan(sold)
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    57 Silver Hawk
    52 Starliner(sold)
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Most of your MOPAR stuff will bolt right on. Just dont try to use wheels off a 60-65 Valiant or Dart.

Comment

Also might want to keep in mind that some lugs may be left-hand thread.
        I find myself forgetting that from time to time, and not much else makes me feel more dumb...

StudeDave [8D]
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
        '57 Commander 2dr
        '57 Champion 2dr
        '58 Packard sedan
        '65 Cruiser
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I suspect you've been there but look at the end of the stud for a "L" or "R" for thread direction. The 53 should be left thread on the left side of car and right on the right side but someone may have changed the studs or drums in the past 53 years.

As a kid in 1957, I remember my Dad twisting a four-way lug wrench into a pretzel, trying to "loosen" the lugs on a left side flat tire on the family Hudson.[V]

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. Yep...the early A bodies..Darts and Valiants had the 4 on 5 bolt pattern and actually kept that up to the early 70's. Very familiar with the L and R on the Mopars...but nice to know about the Studebakers. My very first impact wrench experience came on a 1966 Coronet 500 when I worked at a Dodge Dealership in High School. Broke about 3 studs off on a brand new car switching tires and wheels. Experience is the best teacher.

Comment

Had a similar situation with an International 2 ton truck that needed rear brake repair. Took off the lug nuts and then the outer tire, but could not get off the inner. Tried a sledge hammer and a chain dog across the hub. No go. A school bus mechanic came by and said that the studs which held on the outer lugs were threaded also. . Got the proper impact socket and off they came. Didn't make me feel real bright.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
              X