Positive ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive ground

My 53 Commander has a positive ground, the car still has the 6-volt system I would like to get rid of this has anyone done this and if so whats it take.

I can see no earthly reason to change a six volt positive ground car to six volt negative ground. There's nothing to be gained from it, unless perhaps you have a six volt negative ground transistor car radio to install.

If you switch to 12 volts, then a switch to negative ground would be a normal part of the modification.

Studebaker used positive ground on six-volt cars because they thought there was technical advantage to it.

If you really want to change the system polarity you will have to: reverse the battery, switch the wires on the ammeter, switch the wires on the low-voltage terminals of the coil, and "flash" the field on the generator. The tube radio ought to work with reversed polarity; at least it won't burn up.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I used a 6 volt Pos. to 12 volt neg. step up converter for the radio-cd player in mine.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Tube radio in positive ground car has a vibrator that is polarity senstive. The filaments don't care about polarity but the vibrator most be changed to a negative ground type if you
        change to 6 volt negative ground--which seems a waste of time and monry IMHO.
        ...Dick
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

My 52 ragtop is still 6 volt pos. ground, with a 289 and late model flight o matic in it. my 52 cranks over just fine. I also have had my radio converted to am/fm and I also had the shop add in a 2nd converter and I run a 6 cd changer on the 6 V pos. ground.
          I don't understand how a 12 V neg. ground cd changer works through it, but it does, I hardly listen to the radio, mostly cd's.
          The down side is, I could have bought a NICE 12 V stereo for what I have in the whole thing. But, it looks all original.
          My radio was done by www.turnswitch.com

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X