Question about a 1962 WCFB carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Question about a 1962 WCFB carb

I have a 1962 WCFB carb #2829S, which according to the shop manual if for a standard shift trans. I would like to use it on an automatic, anybody know what the difference is between it and a #2830S (the one used on an automatic)?

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

It must be relatively minor, the main diff. would be adding the Dashpot for slow throttle return.
    Since you can not go to your local Studebaker Dealer or even Carb./Electric Shop and buy a New correct one, I would not hesitate to run it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had thought about the dashpot, I don't have the carb with me, I was wondering if their would be any issues connecting the throttle linkage/trans linkage to the carb?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It must be relatively minor, the main diff. would be adding the Dashpot for slow throttle return.
      Since you can not go to your local Studebaker Dealer or even Carb./Electric Shop and buy a New correct one, I would not hesitate to run it.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

I agree with Rich,...the dashpot on the auto job would probably be the only real difference between the two...although there may be differences in jetting....but I doubt it!
        Anyway, at this point in time, they would readily interchange.

Comment

I am running a WCFB from a '58 President on my '63 259/Flight-O-Matic, without the dashpot. It works just great When I come off throttle, there is no engine bog or stumble.

That pic is when it was old and ugly... I since got a nice refurb

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice looking CORRECT Carb. Linkage and correct return springs and mounting Clark, it does me good to actually see one done RIGHT!

I love what you did to the stretch Rod, is that just Silver/Chrome Paint or powder coat?

This is a really good example of how a 4 barrel SHOULD be setup, note that the Rod is in the proper hole in the Bellcrank and the forward spring is the correct New one in the right location, this is also correct for AFB and Edelbrock installations.

However after rebuild, in THAT condition looks nice but, I don't think it would go far!

irish: the Transmission Throttle Pressure Rod will not be a problem since it does not connect to the Carb.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Nice looking CORRECT Carb. Linkage and correct return springs and mounting Clark, it does me good to actually see one done RIGHT!

I love what you did to the stretch Rod, is that just Silver/Chrome Paint or powder coat?
              Thanks, Rich! The rod is just chrome; it came with the car. I shined it up a bit with some Nevr-Dull.

However after rebuild, in THAT condition looks nice but, I don't think it would go far!
              Yeah... well, it looks a bit less pristine now that it's mounted with a few miles on it

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The dash-pot on the Carbs is a manual Transmission feature. The Carbs are identical for that year. The dash-pot helps during shifting when you take your foot off the accelerator and shift. If the carb is allowed to close quickly under those conditions it will go extremely lean and cause a backfire.

Comment

Is the spring to the valve cover correct as picture in #5? Mine is set up that way but it was questioned it at a recent meet.

62 GT Hawk 4BL Stick

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bhanlon View Post
                    Is the spring to the valve cover correct as picture in #5? Mine is set up that way but it was questioned it at a recent meet.

62 GT Hawk 4BL Stick

Thanks, Bill
                    No, it's actually supposed to hook on to the throttle pivot, below the attachment point with the bell crank. Opposite the nut side.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                      The dash-pot on the Carbs is a manual Transmission feature. The Carbs are identical for that year. The dash-pot helps during shifting when you take your foot off the accelerator and shift. If the carb is allowed to close quickly under those conditions it will go extremely lean and cause a backfire.
                      Maybe that happens on other makes but not on Studebakers. The Dash Pot is a Automatic Transmission feature to slow the idle return that never was on Standard Trans. Cars.

Now if you thinking of a Throttle Kicker, a vacuum opened throttle booster to kick UP the idle to prevent stall, that is a opposite animal.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And btw the dashpot for auto cars, while original, is not strictly needed. I don't have one, and I know several others who likewise do not have or have removed them, and there's no downside to not having it. The car runs just fine without.

Comment

Working...
                        X