Transmission Cooler for Flightomatics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission Cooler for Flightomatics

I'm currently rebuilding my car (1962 Lark 259) and was discussing the possibilities of installing a transmission cooler with my mechanic (good one this time).

He mentioned being able to drill a hole in the casing, or using a "port" I think it was, on the RHS front (near bellhousing).

Questions are (and apologies to those who will tell me to do a search, tried that but too many entries),

Is this the way to go?

What method was used on the Water Cooled Flightomatics?

Were they otherwise standard with additional fittings, or totally different units?

We would appreciate suggestions on how to do this if the proposed solutions mentioned above aren't a good idea.

I also have a question about Headers which I'll make a separate thread.

Thanks in anticipation.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Your certainly on the right track John, The 'bosses' are already there for the 'drill and tap' The case would probably need to be empty so as to catch any metal filings...and a metal 5/16"? tube would need to be crafted to direct incoming fluid to the front band area. Check out an Avanti shop manual for pics of the setup.

Comment

Grazie Mille Ed!!! Will look at the Avanti book.
      John Clements

Comment

Your welcome John...but thinking about this, I believe there is a hole drilled through the trans pressure regulator's cover that needs to be closed. Otherwise, the fluid will be fed through this hole and back into the trans oil pan.
        Last edited by SN-60; 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thx again, will check.
          John Clements

Comment

Working...
          X