How many presto-lites were used ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many presto-lites were used ?

Besides the Avanti type alt.,was there only one housing style presto-lite.I was going through a pile of them and found one odd looking,I'm sure others used them back then.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Yes there were only Two used by Studebaker, one adjusting Ear and Two.
    Many other types were used on stationary equipment, fork lifts, tractors etc.

I have seen Motorola's used as a replacement that look a lot the same. Even those Nipondenso/Toyota/and Honda Units do look alike, but if yours says: Prestolite, then it is for something other than Studebaker.

Many Gen. Electric Shops have a Pile of them.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich. We've had so many Studes here over the years,this one must have been rigged up to one of them as that's likely the only way it would've gotten here.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The 1966 models only used a Prestolite alternator with a single thick mounting ear.

Comment

Thanks Jerry,this one has the thick mounting ear.
          Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          The 1966 models only used a Prestolite alternator with a single thick mounting ear.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joe
            I remember seeing one on a 60's IH Scout. Don't know if it was original.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

I'm glad I saw this. I'll need a 'double ear' alternator to rebuild so I have a spare. There is a local yard that has a few Stude's in it and I'll know what to look for.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                Thanks Jerry, I guess we hear that here every now and then: "You learn something new every day"!
                I have had hands on experience with a whole lot of Studes everything from '54 to '64, but not so much CanadaBakers!

I now (recently) bought and drive a '66 Cruiser, but knock on wood, it has required very little and I never noticed any difference in it's Prestolite, that might be a good replacement for the weaker ones.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                  I'm glad I saw this. I'll need a 'double ear' alternator to rebuild so I have a spare. There is a local yard that has a few Stude's in it and I'll know what to look for.
                  That one was only used on the Jet Thrust Powered Larks, R1 Hawks, Avantis and Zip Vans, in an Avanti with the Three contact Regulator it could put out 40 AMPs, but in Lark/Hawk with the Standard Voltage Regulator (one contact) they only produce the same 35 AMPs as the Standard "One Ear" Model.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, is this a 'single ear' or a 'double ear'?

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Single ear - you would quickly recognize the double adjusting ear version if you saw one.

Comment

OK, learn something new everyday...
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

You can just barely see the TWO EAR Prestolite H.D. 40 Amp. Alt. in this R1 '63 Hawk.
                          It also has a different cooling fan on it with a solid flat metal ring (shield) in front of the blades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63GTWhiteR1Eng.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1683464
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich. A picture is worth a thousand words...
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Look in the parts book, '59-64, to see all of the different alternators listed, 55 & 60 amp, for fleet and taxi service. I don't believe the statement that only 2 were used is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X