Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The windshield wipers are finally working but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: The windshield wipers are finally working but...

When I turn off the wipers they park in the middle of the windshield instead of at the base of the windshield. How can I get them to park at the base of the windshield?
    Peter Bishop

The Park switch is likely Bad if the motor is wired correctly. It is the tiny little switch where the wires connect to the Motor (indirectly).

What did you do to make them work? If you removed the 3 wires, it is best to check the wiring diagram.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What has been done to the wiper system since they last worked correctly?
      It is most likely in the park circuit, as Rich mentioned, but it could be as simple as you put the wiper blades on in the incorrect position (the motor wasn't at park when you reinstaled the blades, hopefully at the w/s base).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Park switch is likely Bad if the motor is wired correctly. It is the tiny little switch where the wires connect to the Motor (indirectly).

What did you do to make them work? If you removed the 3 wires, it is best to check the wiring diagram.
        I just exercised them on a rainy 200 mile road trip. They weren't working properly because (I think) the transmission assembly was encased in hardened grease. After exercising them, it may have softened the grease. I never touched any wiring.
        Peter Bishop

Comment

OK, so it is the Park Switch then.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Regarding the park adjustment, page 12B in the Body Section of the Shop Manual (59-64) says "To adjust the parking position move the contact plate to the rightor left as necessary to provide the correct parking position."

What and where is the "contact plate"?
            Peter Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
              Regarding the park adjustment, page 12B in the Body Section of the Shop Manual (59-64) says "To adjust the parking position move the contact plate to the rightor left as necessary to provide the correct parking position."What and where is the "contact plate"?
              That may very well depend on the brand of Motor on the car, there are: Bosch, Autolite, Prestolite and on pre '56's Redmond.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The contact plate is the round metal cover that the wires attach to. You will notice that the outer plate can the rotated - it pivots at the center and there is a small "tab" on the outer plate. Push on the tab with a flat bladed screwdriver - this changes the position of the contacts on the cover to the "park" contact area on the gear, enabling you to adjust where the wipers will park.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                  The contact plate is the round metal cover that the wires attach to. You will notice that the outer plate can the rotated - it pivots at the center and there is a small "tab" on the outer plate. Push on the tab with a flat bladed screwdriver - this changes the position of the contacts on the cover to the "park" contact area on the gear, enabling you to adjust where the wipers will park.
                  Jerry, Thanks for the advice. I'll be in the garage tonight.
                  Peter Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
                    Jerry, Thanks for the advice. I'll be in the garage tonight.
                    Also, they are supposed to go into park from low speed. This is an automatic feature, but I discovered on the 63GT it had been wired wrong, and was going into park from high speed. When that happens, it will slow briefly, but then bypass park, unless adjusted to compensate. Problem with adjusting to compensate, it winds up parking in the middle of the windshield. Also, the park adjustment will be different with a wet v. dry windshield. Adjusted to work right dry, it will bypass park when wet.

I realize the above is about as clear as mud. But since you have been fooling with it recently, hopefully it will make sense.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 09-03-2013, 03:50 AM.

Comment

wiper motor

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      Also on the "tab" does it not have an "A" and "R" for advance and retard for the park position?

Comment

Here is a twist,
                        My 56 wagon, the wipers run and park fine. BUT, when I go over 40 mph, its like the wiper arms are slowly "wind blown" up, to the vertical position.
                        Its almost like there is something loose in the drive. But you cannot grab the arms and return them to park. You have to turn on the wipers and re-park them. (several times if you are driving while doing it)
                        I have to assume the motor is running super slow till the wipers reach straight up, them it stops there for some reason. It does it every time I drive it.

Any thoughts?

Comment

(I asked a couple of weeks ago about how to connect my wiper-motor after I had it re-wired to 12 volt & never even got one reply... I had lost my photo's of the contact I took before I took it appart, I tried a few times & in the end I reckon I got it right but now it only works full speed.)

Now then, about this:
                          When I re-installed the stuff & started I was also surprized to finding the wipers stopping almost straight up!
                          Then I went out of the car & losend them from the splines & put them back on in the right position...

Comment

Working...
                          X