Suggested Lube for trunk hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Suggested Lube for trunk hinges

It seems that C/K and other trunk hinges are a bit notorious for wearing out over time. I understand the key to long hinge life and good operation is keeping them lubed. I have been using white lithium grease from a spray can with the associated little red straw. My complaint about this solution is because of the spray pressure it makes a bit of a mess. What are you guys using?

Thanks
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

You can get that stuff (white lithium) in tiny squeeze tubes. I have the spray can too. I try to "feather" trigger the nozzle. Not always successful. That's where using your free hand and a rag around the joint comes in handy. The spray can seems to have a solvent that helps the grease "flow" into tight spots.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I use heavy weight oil on mine.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I've always used the same spray lithium.

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        ...your free hand and a rag around the joint comes in handy.
        I've been planning to try Amsoil MPHD and chain lube, as it doesn't show any white residue but, you still have the same spray application issue.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

An eyedropper to apply a drop of motor oil at each joint once a year. Twice if it makes you feel better. Wipe off the excess with a rag.

Comment

I've noticed that the factory recommended the use of motor oil to lube a lot of moving parts. Is that just because it was the best thing available at the time, or because it's truly best for the job? I wonder.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              You can get that stuff (white lithium) in tiny squeeze tubes.
              . Drove a Ford years ago when they used to charge for a"grease and oil change change" on the bill. I knew my car had no lube fittings so I asked them why they charged me for a "grease job". They pointed to the hinges on the car all "lubricate" with white grease. I bought a tube and still have part of that tube "many years later", it lasts.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                I've noticed that the factory recommended the use of motor oil to lube a lot of moving parts. Is that just because it was the best thing available at the time, or because it's truly best for the job? I wonder.
                Modern motor oil is pretty good stuff. Good lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, anti-oxidants, etc.

For a mechanism like a hinge, heavy grease might be getter, but you can't get into where it needs to be. Anything much thicker than motor oil won't wick into the joints, and grease on the non-wearing part of a hinge is useless.

In fact sometimes you get more oil into where it really needs to be by thinning motor oil with a little solvent like kerosine or mineral spirits.

There are thin, penetrating aerosol lubes too, like WD40 and CRC. Problem is, 99% of it ends up where it does no good and makes a mess.

The ideal thing would be to take the hinges off the car, press them apart, grease, reassemble and reinstall. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could drill and tap them for grease fittings. For me, life's too short.

Many years ago I had my worn door hinges rebuilt by a machine shop. They bored one half oversize, pressed in oilite bushings and new sized pins. At that time it was $35 each....I could have bought new ones for less. But it was, I think, a lifetime fix. I still oil them once a year anyway. Belt and suspenders.
                Last edited by jnormanh; 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

When I had my 55 President HT,I had from time to time used a little STP "after all it's a Studebaker"
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a little container of 3 in1 oil I use to lube the hinges on my Studebakers annually
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                      X