This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbfounded!

I don't know if any of you have been following all the responses to my post entitled "Great location, bad timing" about the Dover International meet during next year's July 4th holiday. It was very interesting reading so many different points of view regarding this topic. The upshots, at least for me, is that I won't be attending, as I don't care to travel that distance on a national holiday weekend. Meanwhile, I just learned that the Northeastern Zone meet will be held in nearby, and easily traveled to, Waterbury, CT. I was all set to make my reservation when I checked out the host hotel on Tripadvisor.com. I've been using this website for travel information for many years, and I don't remember seeing the words "filthy" and "disgusting" used so many times. Luckily, there are other places to stay which appear to have no problem picking up trash or emptying a wastebasket. No, I'm not a crank or malcontent, but just someone who wants to keep our hobby alive and attractive to younger members which ours, and other marques as well, so desperately need. Please check it out for yourself and let me know what you think
    Last edited by showbizkid; 09-02-2013, 06:51 AM. Reason: Offensive comment removed
    peter lee

Ah bullbutter!! Some young people are trash so who needs 'em. Quit whining. Sleep under a bridge, or go with the flow. I never had a nightmare stay at any Studebaker Club function. Then again I only been to 'bout 30 of them. Maybe I've been lucky. Quit calling names at people that all in all are {take this to your bank} trying their best so as not to have to hear negative feedback or predisposed opinion by some finicky disgrunt. They've got no control of past hotel practice and only expect the best for your stay. On one occasion I spent the night in my pick-em up truck at the host hotel parking lot cause they were full for that particular evening. Saved a bunch that night and spent it at the swap meet next morning. Not to worry. It is illegal for a hotel-motel to have trash lying around or not empty waste baskets while a Studebaker is in the parking lot.Sorta like a trade off. I ain't LION jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have edited your question to remove the offensive portion.

Please don't call folks names on an open forum. Especially folks you don't know, and who are volunteers attempting to serve their Club. It's poor form.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

When I came upon the SDC scene nearly forty years ago...I was young and full of it. Once I had bought into the Studebaker craze...I talked it up as if nothing else existed. In addition to boring folks (relatives and friends alike) to death with all things Studebaker...I found that it was easy to complain about how the club was run too. Oblivious to the sensitivities, energy level, personal burdens of others...I was embarrassingly eager to blast away with my opinions.

Aside from my perpetual "foot in mouth" condition...I really thought my intentions were pure. However, once I got myself elected to a few leadership positions, volunteered to help plan some events...I soon learned the meaning of "eating crow," "egg on my face," "no good deed goes unpunished." "you can't please everyone," and learned a deeper meaning of the word "humility."

I plan to attend a meet this coming weekend. I'll probably hear some negative comments about the cost of registration, rooms, venue, etc., etc. I hope I'll not find myself doing that. I know the effort that someone has devoted to make it all come together. The smoother it goes...somewhere in the background...it's because someone worked that much harder. My hat is off to all who devote the time and effort.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
          <snip>I just learned that the Northeastern Zone meet will be held in nearby, and easily traveled to, Waterbury, CT. <snip>
          Take a day trip up there in your daily driver and check it out.
          I would bet a donut that the SDC host club has checked this all out and would not put other members up in a fleabag motel.
          But I have heard bedbug complaints at other meets.
          Motel feedback sites are rife with negative comments, many not substantiated.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            When I came upon the SDC scene nearly forty years ago...I was young and full of it. Once I had bought into the Studebaker craze...I talked it up as if nothing else existed. In addition to boring folks (relatives and friends alike) to death with all things Studebaker...I found that it was easy to complain about how the club was run too. Oblivious to the sensitivities, energy level, personal burdens of others...I was embarrassingly eager to blast away with my opinions.

Aside from my perpetual "foot in mouth" condition...I really thought my intentions were pure. However, once I got myself elected to a few leadership positions, volunteered to help plan some events...I soon learned the meaning of "eating crow," "egg on my face," "no good deed goes unpunished." "you can't please everyone," and learned a deeper meaning of the word "humility."

I plan to attend a meet this coming weekend. I'll probably hear some negative comments about the cost of registration, rooms, venue, etc., etc. I hope I'll not find myself doing that. I know the effort that someone has devoted to make it all come together. The smoother it goes...somewhere in the background...it's because someone worked that much harder. My hat is off to all who devote the time and effort.
            Nicely stated. Nothing generates humility better than having to pitch in and help.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Going to Maggie Valley meybee? jimmijim
              Originally posted by jclary View Post

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                Going to Maggie Valley meybee? jimmijim
                Yep. The only thing is...will I have a Studebaker ready for the trip. Jury's out.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I commend any individual that "steps up" and volunteers in any leadership position. They certainly lends credence to the saying, "no good deed goes unpunished". Planning any event takes considerable time and effort and considering the diversity of our groups, there is never 100% agreement. Some of us work 60 hours a week and a holiday time frame works best, some are retired, some make good income and some are on a fixed income. Some have smart phones and know what TripAdvisor is, while some members still need an old fashioned newsletter via the USPS. I hope that our club continues to meet the needs of any and all Studebaker enthusiasts and we continue to meet up at fun events!
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '57 Golden Hawk
                  '51 Champion

Comment

I don't know if any of you have been following all the responses to my post entitled "Great location, bad timing" about the Dover International meet during next year's July 4th holiday. It was very interesting reading so many different points of view regarding this topic. The upshots, at least for me, is that I won't be attending, as I don't care to travel that distance on a national holiday weekend. Meanwhile, I just learned that the Northeastern Zone meet will be held in nearby, and easily traveled to, Waterbury, CT. I was all set to make my reservation when I checked out the host hotel on Tripadvisor.com. I've been using this website for travel information for many years, and I don't remember seeing the words "filthy" and "disgusting" used so many times. Luckily, there are other places to stay which appear to have no problem picking up trash or emptying a wastebasket. No, I'm not a crank or malcontent, but just someone who wants to keep our hobby alive and attractive to younger members which ours, and other marques as well, so desperately need. Please check it out for yourself and let me know what you think
                    Peter, I think it's time for you to be specific when you continue to flog what may very well be a "dead horse".

First of all, where did you learn about the Northeastern Meet in Waterbury CT? It's not listed in Turning Wheels or the Zone portion of the Forum. Second, what meet hotel are you talking about?

I use Trip Advisor as well and I can absolutely assure you that most happy travellers don't post comments but the unhappy ones do. I've travelled to many communities and stayed in hotels that have been panned and have found them to be great. In North America we have a bed bug problem but that doesn't mean we don't go anywhere. There are ways of circumventing bed bugs if you just learn how. If you know about an SDC-related hotel that is filthy and disgusting then tell us.

You've made your point about our international meets. But have you contacted your National Director. Quite frankly, the only point at hand is whether our current members want week-long international meets or shortened over-the-weekend versions. The IMC has to look at accommodation value when awarding a hotel contract and often the best deals do include a national holiday in the middle. We also have to know if we can realistically extend the meet season over other than summer months. Just because you don't like traffic is not, in my opinion, a valid reason to keep this thread alive.

For everyone else, talk about it at your chapter meetings and keep your elected officials aware. This Forum has over 8,000 members but only about 1,000 are active. So start with your Regional Managers and Zone Coordinators and get them on side. Our National Directors will listen. Maybe we do need some change, but input has to be constructive.

Stu Chapman

Comment

No, I'm not a crank or malcontent...
                      Fooled me
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Maybe I'm simple but I'm just glad there IS a club for us to begin with.

Comment

Having a week long international meet doesn't mean you have to be there for it's entirety and still somewhat makes it possible for those that can't spend the better part of a week in attendance to still be there. front side, back side, or in the middle. 2 or 3 days is still a lot of fun. Mayhaps extend the meet to cover a 12 day period. cheers jimmijim

Comment

Yep. I read the other thread. Soo you won't be coming to the IM next year Dover? Sounds like a bummer for the rest of us, but OK. Thanks for putting the IM Committee on notice, so they can adjust accordingly. Where ever you decide to go that week, or any other time, take lots of pix and post them somewhere in case someone who cares can look at them sometime.
                            Good By
                            Last edited by JoeHall; 09-03-2013, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                              I have edited your question to remove the offensive portion.

Please don't call folks names on an open forum. Especially folks you don't know, and who are volunteers attempting to serve their Club. It's poor form.
                              I apologize for my inflammatory language. Again: I'm not a hypercritical malcontent, but just an SDC member who wants these events to be a positive experience.
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X