Hawk Hood Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hawk Hood Installation

I've been driving my Hawk sans hood as I continue to sort out some things. I suppose I should get the hood back on it one of these days. So, for those of you who have installed Hawk hoods many times, do you have any tips, cautions, secrets to share on handling it, bolting it on and getting it aligned...anything that I won't find in the shop manual? Thanks in advance.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Yes, it really helps to have THREE "installers".
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Three people make for a safer install....and a packing blanket laid on the cowl is also good insurance. If the hinges have not been disturbed since the hood was removed...You should be in good shape. Good luck!

Comment

Good ideas. I had not disturbed the hinges but I will need to sneak a quilt off the bed, make two friends and buy a 6 pack of Corona.
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

First, take the grille out, folded up towels on back corner of the fender/cowl, tape in place. IF you have 2 additional helpers, piece of cake. If not, use the center garage door opener bar, and with a tie down suspend the front of the hood, while laying the back corners on the towels. Get the hood up high enough to attach the hinges, adjust, install the grille, and you're done. When there is a will, there IS a way!!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            First, take the grille out, folded up towels on back corner of the fender/cowl, tape in place. IF you have 2 additional helpers, piece of cake. If not, use the center garage door opener bar, and with a tie down suspend the front of the hood, while laying the back corners on the towels. Get the hood up high enough to attach the hinges, adjust, install the grille, and you're done. When there is a will, there IS a way!!

Jim
            I'd vote for getting two friends, even if you have to rent them. Maybe even a 12 pack of Corona, but don't let them get past the first six till the job is done

Comment

No beer at all until the job is done. Have you ever seen the "quality" of work that folks do whilst imbibing?
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yeah,I'd pity the guy that gets to hold up the front of the hood while the other two start the bolts! Taking the grill off makes a LOT of difference when holding that hood up!
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Tip: Saw the heads off a couple of long bolts with the same thread as the hood attachment bolts. Round the cut end of the bolts a little and screw them finger tight into the hood threads and prop the hinges firmly up in raised position, this will give you some guide pins to hang the hood onto while you or your lovely assistants start the attaching bolts.

Comment

I have heard a number of people who have talked about getting the hood lined up...

First thing is to make sure the cowl rubber is new and glued down. Once you get it tight enough to put it down you want to make sure the line is right straight across the back. Do not put it too close or you run the risk of chipping paint on the cowl when you lift it (which is another reason to pull the hood forward when you start to open it). Once it is right, tighten it down to stay.

If the fenders were not removed then hopefully the fenders will line up down to the side grills. If not, all the bolts holding the front of the fenders/grill area will need to be loosened up to adjust gaps.

There are more experienced people here who can probably add anything else that will be important.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X