Engine mount description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine mount description

I have seen a diagram of what engine goes to which hole on the mounting plate on the frame does anyone have that ? I just got a truck with a bad drive line vibration already gone through normal stuff u-joints-drive shaft alignment remove lowering blocks etc. figure this is problem and don't want to change it but once. any help would be appreciated

I can't help with the information provided. If you do not get an answer soon, provide the year, model and 6 or 8 engine. Might make a difference. Just a thought.

Comment

This Forum is for Forum related problems not Car issues, I see you are New, so I am sure you did not notice that. Just copy this question and paste to a New Post on the Technical Forum and you will receive more help where it will be found.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.
      Thanks.
      Originally posted by rustywire48 View Post
      I have seen a diagram of what engine goes to which hole on the mounting plate on the frame does anyone have that ? I just got a truck with a bad drive line vibration already gone through normal stuff u-joints-drive shaft alignment remove lowering blocks etc. figure this is problem and don't want to change it but once. any help would be appreciated
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Larry,

What year and model truck is it? Someone with a Chassis parts book for that truck might have exactly what you're looking for.

Oh, and once again, welcome to the forum!!
        Last edited by JimC; 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Ok, our wonderful Moderator Clark (showbizkid) at work! This post was in the Forum Issues Forum called "Forum Discussions" and moved to a better place where it will be seen, Thanks Clark.

Basically Larry, Studebaker Engines always go to the Right Side Holes in the Mount Brackets when there are both Left and Right Holes.
          The Left Side Holes are only for Right Hand Drive Vehicles, the purpose is to clear the Steering Gear and align it to the Driveline.

Usually, the Fore and Aft holes as on C & K Models are for the 6 or V8 to fit the frame properly. It would help to know what Model and Year you are working on.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rusty, You say truck. They only had 2 sets of holes. One for the 6 and one set for the V8. The 6 used the slotted holes, to the front.

[/URL]

Comment

Thanks for all the responses I am sorry but this is a 1963 E8 3/4 ton 259 V8 3spd w/OD I realized I did ask a dumb question before I researched the frame ( I have owned several cars this is first truck) but this problem just will not go away I have replaced all engine mounts, carrier bearing bushings, spring bushings, aligned drive-shafts and still have drive line vibration starts around 2500 rpm (45mph) and gets worse at greater speeds I now have the truck on jack stands and still get vibration Can the harmonic balance cause this? How do I check that? anything else you may think of I will try
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rustywire48 View Post
                Thanks for all the responses I am sorry but this is a 1963 E8 3/4 ton 259 V8 3spd w/OD I realized I did ask a dumb question before I researched the frame ( I have owned several cars this is first truck) but this problem just will not go away I have replaced all engine mounts, carrier bearing bushings, spring bushings, aligned drive-shafts and still have drive line vibration starts around 2500 rpm (45mph) and gets worse at greater speeds I now have the truck on jack stands and still get vibration Can the harmonic balance cause this? How do I check that? anything else you may think of I will try
                Thanks
                I recently read a post by Ron Dame that had been fighting a similar issue off and on for several years on his Champ pickup, trying many of the same things you have. He finally discovered that his brake drums were not balanced and at certain speeds would create various vibrations. He removed the drums/hubs from the axles and balanced them on a bubble balancer, adding coins to balance it, then weighed the coins on a postal scale and finally epoxy glued the appropriate amount of weight to the outside of the brake drum.

Found the post I had remembered and it was in the technical forum here.

Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM. Reason: added link to referenced post
                \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

I chased a similar problem on my Lark and found the bellhousing bolts to the engine had worked loose. Tightened and vibrations disappeared. I suspect that is very unusual.

Comment

Thanks for the info I will check the drums and bell housing the sad part is I grew up as a mechanic then went into the equipment business and had to train mechanics never experienced a problem that I could not figure out maybe old age

Comment

Working...
                    X