Idle tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Idle tubes

I have a 57 Commander. How do you remove the idle tubes from a Stromberg WW6-117? The shop manual: Gasoline section, p20, fig. 56 does not show how, only a picture.

It requires a jet removing tool the outside dimension has to be very small to get in there, the inside is round with 2 flats.

I had one once made from a piece of round stainless steel tubing flattened to create the 2 flat spots and then ground down very thin on the outside to fit. It also needs to be "L" shaped to allow a handle to turn it.

There are or were Sets of these Tools available in the day, not sure about today.

I have sometimes just soaked the Carb. extra long in the Acid to clean them while still installed.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich I think you are referring to the main discharge jets shown in fig. 60. To remove those I used a 6/32 tap and made a few threads and inserted a 6/32x1 1/2 screw about 3-4 turns. I had a nut on top of two flat washers, as I tightened the nut it gently and easily drew the jets out. I can't see anyway to grab on the tiny tip of the idle tube to pull it out.

Comment

Yep, sorry I was thinking about the Main Jets. I have never removed the Idle Tubes on a dozen or more that ran fine.
        Great, the next one I do will probably be plugged!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Stromberg manual says they should just fall out. Maybe they will after soaking awhile. Thanks Rich.

Comment

Stromberg made sets of tools, such as this one:

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X