Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Questions with Good Answers never acknowledged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Recent Questions with Good Answers never acknowledged!

There are some good answers posted to Tech. questions asked by:

ncdillinger Master Cylinder Brake Fluid Sensor

Studebecker How many rollers in 53 Stude steering worm gear?

59Stood Banging Sound

brngarage Power steering for a '52 Land Cruiser??

and

rbigcal 1964 Wagonaire

To name a few, I have to wonder how badly some need this stuff?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

It's always good etiquette to acknowledge technical assistance, and it's a good idea to report on the solution to the problem, once it is found. That adds to the knowledge base and benefits everyone.

Some of those did respond, but unfortunately, once folks get their answer, it seems like many of them just let the line of communication go dead. How tough would it be to say thank you, or I solved it and here's what it was?
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

DITTO!!!!

It doesn't take much to say "thanks" and it only takes six letters! Those who answer appreciate it and it lets them know that you got your information and maybe found it helpful. I have found this forum to be more helpful than all the repair manuals published!!
      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

A thankless poster's question is a sore spot with me also. Kinda makes ya wonder what type of fetchin up if any, some of the puzzled posters have had. Some here ask questions only because they are too lazy to do a little research themselves, explore uncharted waters, or too cheap to buy a shop manual. Thus they may also be to lazy to thank someone/all that have responded. Also there are many good questions asked that receive excellent answers almost immediately. I also don't care for the stupid questions. On another note, an idiot amongst a group of people will identify himself as such only when he opens his mouth. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          A thankless poster's question is a sore spot with me also. Kinda makes ya wonder what type of fetchin up if any, some of the puzzled posters have had. Some here ask questions only because they are too lazy to do a little research themselves, explore uncharted waters, or too cheap to buy a shop manual. Thus they may also be to lazy to thank someone/all that have responded. Also there are many good questions asked that receive excellent answers almost immediately. I also don't care for the stupid questions. On another note, an idiot amongst a group of people will identify himself as such only when he opens his mouth. cheers jimmijim
          I take a bit of exception to this thread. Yes, I believe thank you is not too much to ask. However, remarks like "I don't care for stupid questions" and "Too lazy to do a little research" I feel are unwarranted. Many of you have dealt with Studebakers and "stupid questions" a long time. But when you first started did you feel your questions were stupid? As a newer member I am trying to learn from the wealth of information the old timers have. I thought that was a primary reason for this forum. I have had questions and tried the search function first, but when people don't use the proper terminology in the title of the thread, it's difficult to search. And just because a person has a shop manual, doesn't mean he understands every operational procedure in it. Experience comes right after you needed it! I guess bottom line to what I'm saying is have a little empathy to us beginners. And a sincere thank you to all the members who have helped me since I got my car this spring.

Comment

Also one of my pet peeves. Some responses can be drafted immediately from info already resident in one's brain; other answers require a fair amount of research to refresh one's memory of a procedure in the shop manual or to look up some part numbers. There is a BIG difference in the amount of time and effort involved, but I spose that difference is not necessarily apparent to the questioner. I tend to be much more tolerant and understanding with newbies -- they may not understand Forum protocol or our obsession with parts books and part numbers (by contrast, those interested in restoring old GM vehicles don't pay much attention to original part numbers). But I do believe that those with several hundred posts should have picked up enough of Stude and Forum culture to know when one was asking a silly question or not responding properly. And common courtesy requires a simple "thank you" for even the most simple favors.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

It would also benefit other readers,who may be reading the post because they have the same problem--for the OP to come back with results,and a thank you.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I usually just "hip shoot" answers, and don't worry about "thanks". I just enjoy sharing my limited experience and BSing. If I get tired of answering, or become too disappointed when expectations of thanks are not met, I'll just stop answering. Anyway, we get what we pay for, and I doubt I'd qualify for a "paying job" answering Stude questions

But I am thankful for the wealth of knowledge here. And can usually get an up to date answer to most anything, with additional (albeit sometimes dated) info in the archives. I try to remember to say thank you also, because I usually have as many questions as answers, but sometimes I forget. Sorry if that disappoints some folks.

Today's taskers in the garage are on the 63GT: install new u'joints; run return fuel line for HFI; drill 2" hole in firewall for HFI; install cruise control. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do any of the above faster, smarter, safer, cheaper ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

Joe, 2" holes need a hole saw, but 1" and smaller just use the neatest thing ever invented for holes, a step drill. Works like a champ on sheet metal. U-joints, use your press and a few sockets of the right sizes, and if you don't have a press, a vise will work just fine. I like to run return line into the filler neck, so there is little chance of a leak, as there might be if adding it to the tank, plus it's way easier to attach a fitting to the neck than the tank.

No thanks needed here, but thanks for the "advance" thanks. No one need thank me for anything I may try to contribute, it's my duty as an old guy to help educate the follow on folks when/if I can! It's also my duty to keep my mouth shut when I don't have an answer, and to not criticize others who are trying to help. I don't always succeed in my duties.
                  Corley

Comment

Thanks is appreciated although not necessary because I would hope most of us that answer are doing it to help the initial poster and leave a trail that can be picked up and followed in the future.

That leads me to two minor rants, The posters that don't title threads with either the question they want answered or the members that don't post the fabrication or problem they are addressing in the title.

And secondly, the search function in the forum is difficult to narrow down the issue that is being addressed, partially due to the above and just the search function itself.

I'll let some in on a little secret, Google your question and you'll be surprised at the appropriate posts that show up in the results that are in the data base of this forum. Google seems to cut through the minutia better.

Bob

Comment

Well...since we're already a bit off topic...three options for holes in sheet metal. 1) hole saw, 2) step drill, 3) hole punch. The first two produce lots of metal shavings. The last one produces the fewest shavings, except for the pilot hole drill (usually 1/4"). A hole punch set tends to produce the neatest hole. Not all are quality tools. Probably the best is Greenlee.(SP) A step drill is probably the most economical.

With hole saws, it is important to select one with lots of TPI (teeth per inch) for thin sheet metal. Even then, there is a good chance the hole saw will bind or grab near the break through point of the cut. When this happens, (depending on the power of your drill), you could injure or break your wrist. I have used a slower RPM air wrench with an adapter to drive hole saws in thin sheet metal. The right angle of the tool gives added leverage, and the lower rpm makes binding not as traumatic.

As to the folks who post what I call "drive-by" problems and never return...I think it is a result of a convergence of misunderstandings. Our beloved SDC is comprised of many aging and computer illiterate members who do not live on the internet. Many think of the forum as something like our "cooperator" column in Turning Wheels. I know of one degreed engineer who is pretty danged savvy in many ways. However, he once told me that he visited the forum once, but wouldn't ever do it again. He had a problem and requested assistance from the forum and said that "the forum" told him to consult his manual. In his mind, the forum is supposed to be a bunch of experts sitting around ready to give expert technical advice and nothing more. For those who do not live in the "computer world"...what I describe as a 24/7 campfire discussion (social media style) among Studebaker buddies, is a concept that does not register in their thought process. Until that concept takes hold...the forum will continue to be the dwelling place for only a few of our membership.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So, based on the replies, how many of you commentors are assuming that the specific individuals named in post #1 have not expressed some prerequisite amount of thanks and appreciation? Well, that's the impression y'all are leaving for the public here. If you actually read the threads you will see those folks wrote things like, "THANKS", "THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP", "APPRECIATE YOUR HELP", "THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS".

As the first member of this forum who spent many years and long hours monitoring its activities, there is one universal truth... not one member of this forum, myself included, who is not deserving of some criticism at one time or another. If folks want to start calling out individuals for their perceived transgressions in forum etiquette this will be the longest thread in forum history.

As the old adage goes...
                        "Be careful of pointing your finger at someone because there are three more pointing back at yourself"

Just sayin'
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota
                        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	lets-be-careful.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1683431

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Right on, Bob Shaw and thank you now for the couple of posts where I forgot to say so (Power steering for a '52 Land Cruiser specifically) as I usually do (either in advance or after or both.
                            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Sorry Howard, I really did not mean to "pick on you", just noted all those who were several days without responding, I know that normally does NOT happen to you.

Some people may actually have "outside of Studebaker" lives, I would not know what that is like!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X