63 Avanti history lesson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti history lesson...

Thought some of you Avanti fans might be interested. I'm no expert, but read a few things I hadn't heard about Avantis before...

curbside Avanti images posted at the CC Cohort by Foden Alpha (first posted 8/30/2013)    Every car has a story, but some are a hell of a lot more compelling than […]
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

You're welcome, sir. I thought the photos of Loewy's own custom cars were worth seeing if nothing else. Showed a bit of where his Avanti design originated from...
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
        Thought some of you Avanti fans might be interested. I'm no expert, but read a few things I hadn't heard about Avantis before...

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ed-brilliance/
        There are certainly many things one could say about this article both good and bad. I suspect the Author has too many European Concepts, preferences, opinions and thoughts to properly and fairly discuss an American Car.

I especially do not like his poor choice of Cars to Photo. It would have been better if he had gone to a SDC Zone Meet or International Meet and seen some REAL Studebakers!

The numerous Pics of that wrong wheeled (Lincoln Town Car type) White modified Stude. Avanti and the stupid looking '54 Starliner with ugly, bulbous Fender Skirts were the worst, at least he did say they were not stock.

I don't know where he got that story about the windshield having to be slanted too far forward because Egbert hit his head on the slanted Back W/S prototype buck, it makes sense because Egbert was a big Guy, but not sure it is true, never heard that before.

I am not really sure if I understand what this means. Is he trying to say the Avanti was built in or designed in Detroit, or just the same as one that was?
        I am sure from his other statements that he knows better than that though.

Quote:

It may just be his anti-American Car attitude.

He does not have too many errors like this one: Quote: "Back in 1953, the brilliant Starliner coupe"
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, in '93 I went to the Avanti 30th anniversary celebration in South Bend. I had the pleasure of listening to Otis Romine speak about the engineering of the Avanti, and he relayed the story of Egbert conking his head getting in and out of the seating buck. That was the first time I'd heard that and I have heard it other times, since.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
            Rich, in '93 I went to the Avanti 30th anniversary celebration in South Bend. I had the pleasure of listening to Otis Romine speak about the engineering of the Avanti, and he relayed the story of Egbert conking his head getting in and out of the seating buck.
            Yes, that was true, and it was published in a few other places as well. And it also explained the small sunvisors, too.

Craig

Comment

Bump. There are some interesting comments that were made later on the subject link...maybe of interest. I visited the AvantiII plant two or three times.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Great article and pics.....Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Working...
                X