No announcement yet.

Need brake components...quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Need brake components...quick!

OH BOY...things really get away from you when living at the "speed of life." While tinkering around with my '48 coupe, I noticed that I have not put my tag stickers on and had the car on the road since 2011. Didn't realize it had been that long. This week, I had a new battery replaced free of charge under warranty. Also posted in another thread about replacing points, and getting it back running. However, once I had it running, I found the brakes not up to snuff. Next weekend, is the S.E. Zone Meet and I'm thinking about driving it.

This morning, I pulled the front wheel (passenger side) off and discovered the brake shoe material had become soaked with brake fluid from the leaking wheel cylinder and mostly disintegrated. Right now, I'm on my way to town to take care of some errands and then go by my local parts store. I'm not holding much hope that they will have wheel cylinders, kits, and especially not the shoes.

If any of you folks know of a quick source at less than confiscatory prices...please let me know. I'll check in when I get back home. If I can't get the parts...I have a couple of other Studes I can make the trip in.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

If there is a brake shop in town, they can re-line your shoes.

My old NAPA book lists the brake shoes as B-1215 or BS-1215.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      If there is a brake shop in town, they can re-line your shoes.

My old NAPA book lists the brake shoes as B-1215 or BS-1215.
      There used to be a couple of brake shops around here but the ones I knew of closed years ago. I have several boxes of OEM linings. I guess, if push comes to shove...I could try Gorilla Glue

Believe it or not...my local parts store had all the kits, including master cylinder, in stock. Of course...none of that helps if I can't get shoes.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Aren't the OEM linings riveted onto the shoes?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Aren't the OEM linings riveted onto the shoes?
          There are both kinds. I believe I have some that have the holes for rivets. I have not examined the boxes for what years they fit, whether they are for bonded or riveted brakes. I don't have a rivet tool, rivets, nor do I know what adhesives are appropriate for bonding them.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,what year 9" shoes will inter-change with another ?
            Originally posted by jclary View Post
            There are both kinds. I believe I have some that have the holes for rivets. I have not examined the boxes for what years they fit, whether they are for bonded or riveted brakes. I don't have a rivet tool, rivets, nor do I know what adhesives are appropriate for bonding them.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Whoopee!

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sounds like parts of my stash. Most of it is labeled for any particular car, but some of it is like digging for gold. Glad you got lucky!

Comment

Thanks Roy. I'm not outta the woods yet. I don't have enough to do all four wheels. Until I get them all torn down and inspected, the jury's out on how fortunate I am. I also noticed that the passenger side flex hose is toast. Fortunately, I have a very good supple and, in great condition, new one. (As opposed to an old NOS one that has deteriorated with age.) Now is a perfect time to take care of that little knuckle busting job as well.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Are you totally familiar with Studebaker's unique self-adjusting system and do you have the new contact shoes?

Comment

Are you totally familiar with Studebaker's unique self-adjusting system and do you have the new contact shoes?
                      Short answer...yep. Long answer...since this is not a daily driver, I prefer to manually adjust them. I've done it both ways. If you think about it, the trucks worked just fine with only individual shoe eccentrics for years. It is not a method for those who are timid about getting intimate with their cars. However, I'll probably be at it until I lie down in the dirt and grease for the last time...and can't get up.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X