No announcement yet.

Looking for a doors on technique tool to clean front door channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Looking for a doors on technique tool to clean front door channel

Now that the door sag is going away with frame mounting.....

The only two reasons to pull the Speedster doors are access to clean door seal channel and easier painting of the front of the door.

I can deal with the painting issue.

I've fought this war on several makes and Studebaker does not have a corner on difficult access to the channel to remove, refurbish and replace gasket door on. I'm not sure if door removal, cleaning channel door on or root canal is at the top of the least favorable list but they're all in the top 3 of my book.

I'm sure the collective intelligence on this board has a trick to address this that I've yet to discover.

I have not tried it, but I wonder if the trick is to remove the door stop rivet, open as far as possible without hitting the fender if present, securing the door so it will not move and clean and glue away or whatever is your pleasure.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Got it...
      With the clip off there is about 3/8" access from the front side

Ice pick bent into hook and a screw driver to clean out the brittle rubber. Then 1/4" wire brush on the drill got most of it. Then, 40 grit adhesive back sandpaper around end of a paint stick cleaned up the channel good enough for Master Series to seal.

Verified frame is square tightened a few more anchor spots and the doors are perfect... no sag.

Comment

Working...
      X