No announcement yet.

4L60E Tranny In A V8 Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 4L60E Tranny In A V8 Stude?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300951442593...84.m1423.l2649 A question: if using this ebay item, and an EFI with throttle position sensor to provide the signal, would it be possible to run a 4L60E with all electronic controls, instead of a 700R with TV Cable?

If not the one above, maybe this one ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/190662382747...84.m1423.l2649

Put another way, does this/these item(s) replace the OEM computer used on 1993 and later GMs, and allow a 4L60E to work on an earlier vehicle, without an OEM computer?

Thanks
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-29-2013, 05:44 AM.

Yes, and GM sells the kit to do it.

19212657 is the part number. It includes the harness and a UBS connector to hook up to a laptop.

Other companies also sell controllers and harnesses. An internet search will get list of suppliers.
    Last edited by Swifster; 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Where/how to to mount the laptop. cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

But why go to that expense, the TH700R4 seems to work well. Just wondering?
        Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          Yes, and GM sells the kit to do it.

19212657 is the part number. It includes the harness and a UBS connector to hook up to a laptop.

Other companies also sell controllers and harnesses. An internet search will get list of suppliers.
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...04fb0b&vxp=mtr I believe this is what you are referring to, but not what I was referring to. Please click on the ebay link above, in the OP, to see the item I was asking about.
          Thanks

Comment

Joe, I'm sorry. I was tired last night and didn't see the Ebay ads. I've seen both of the aftermarket units and they should work fine. Just make sure the wiring harness comes with the unit as these are usually an 'extra cost' item. I personally prefer the 4L60E.

And yes, they are stand alone controllers. I like the TCI controller because it's per-programmed and requires no tuning unless you want to make changes.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
              But why go to that expense, the TH700R4 seems to work well. Just wondering?
              Corley,
              Just looking at all options, as I will likely someday put a GM tranny in the 63GT (but not soon). With the 700R, I understand the TVC causes the gas pedal to become very hard, since it has to overcome the pull required for the TVC. I do not want to be driving along with sweat breaking out on the forehead from all the muscles required to keep the pedal pressed down enough for road speed

With the electronics running off the TPS instead of the manual TVC, the pedal would be same as it is on our 62GT with TBI and overdrive tranny (T85).

Also, the TVI stuff costs considerable money, so just wondering if an electric setup may be about same price.

Comment

Hey Joe, if you go with the 4L60E, let me know where you end up installing the controller.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

With the 700R, I understand the TVC causes the gas pedal to become very hard, since it has to overcome the pull required for the TVC. I do not want to be driving along with sweat breaking out on the forehead from all the muscles required to keep the pedal pressed down enough for road speed
                  Joe, don't know where this urban legend came into being, but it's totally wrong. Think about it. GM sold forty million vehicles with these trannys. The TV cable resistance is negligible. Just make sure you use the proper linkage. Since you're using GM throttle bodies, there should be U-Piks full of ready-to-run TBIs with linkage.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Joe, don't know where this urban legend came into being, but it's totally wrong. Think about it. GM sold forty million vehicles with these trannys. The TV cable resistance is negligible. Just make sure you use the proper linkage. Since you're using GM throttle bodies, there should be U-Piks full of ready-to-run TBIs with linkage.

jack vines
                    Hi Jack,
                    I have never tried this, but maybe you have: With a pair of pliers and the TVC disconnected from the carb linkage, pull the TVC core out an inch or so. How much "pull" does it take? If you would, please estimate in ounces or pounds.
                    Also, would the required pull be any different if the motor were running? Running and in gear?
                    Thanks,
                    Joe

Comment

Joe, I've been driving a an Avanti with a TH700R4 for several years and never noticed an increase in throttle resistance or leg fatigue over the stock Stude linkage with a Powershift.

Bottom line, GM has always been in the business of selling cars which are easy to drive. They're not going to build something on which even a small female would find objectionable to hold down the throttle.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Joe, I've been driving a an Avanti with a TH700R4 for several years and never noticed an increase in throttle resistance or leg fatigue over the stock Stude linkage with a Powershift.

Bottom line, GM has always been in the business of selling cars which are easy to drive. They're not going to build something on which even a small female would find objectionable to hold down the throttle.

jack vines
                        I understand that Jack. But am also sure the Stude accelerator linkage geometry is very different from GM of the 1990s, i.e. a cammed cable, with more more travel to overcome increased resistance on GM.
                        I read here where one person considered welding his linkage rod so that the spring release would be inoperable This was because the combined resistance of the carb and TVC overcame that spring in the rod. If so, that's way more pedal effort than I am willing to exert, hour after hour on the road.

Also, I looked at a home-made TVC adapter for the carb linkage, someone was proud of. Judging by the heavy duty materials the fabricator had used, it looked like he anticipated it would need to be strong. Only reason for such strength that I could see, is due to the pull required for the TVC.

I dunno anything about GM 4-speed automatics, but want to get it right the first time.
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 08-29-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I understand that Jack. But am also sure the Stude accelerator linkage geometry is very different from GM of the 1990s, i.e. a cammed cable, with more more travel to overcome increased resistance on GM.
                          I read here where one person considered welding his linkage rod so that the spring release would be inoperable This was because the combined resistance of the carb and TVC overcame that spring in the rod. If so, that's way more pedal effort than I am willing to exert, hour after hour on the road.

Also, I looked at a home-made TVC adapter for the carb linkage, someone was proud of. Judging by the heavy duty materials the fabricator had used, it looked like he anticipated it would need to be strong. Only reason for such strength that I could see, is due to the pull required for the TVC.

I dunno anything about GM 4-speed automatics, but want to get it right the first time.
                          Joe

I just wandered out to the barn and tried the TV cable on the 83. It's a 200R4 and when you pull the cable you can feel a resistance but it's much less than the light spring I have on the throttle body. While there is a resistance I can't see it adding a lot to the total on the accelerator pedal.

But to convince yourself it's not high, stop by your local friendly trans shop and pull on one in the shop. I'm with Jack on this one but if I can locate a light fishing scale, I'll see if I can measure the pull tomorrow.

Bob

Comment

Joe, you're lucky because there will be a TBI at the yard with all the linkage on it. You won't have to engineer anything.

I bought a generic Edelbrock 1403 and tried to fab the linkage. If I'd done enough homework and been stubborn enough, I could have made it work. The quick and expensive way was to pay BowTieOverdrive for their carb kit and the pressure gauge and instructions.

Bottom line, with the right linkage, I never notice the TV cable is there.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Of course you could always just install a GM EFI setup at the same time as the 4L60E, and the right ECM would have all the trans outputs needed. Might take a day or two longer to install, but...
                              Corley

Comment

Working...
                              X