No announcement yet.

Using a standard transmission in an M series with V-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Using a standard transmission in an M series with V-8

I have a 1947 M-series pickup that I want to put a Studebaker V-8 in. I would like to use a T5 5 speed transmission. Has anyone successfully mated a V-8 bell housing to the stock M pedal assembly? I really don't want to go to a hanging pedal and hydraulic slave unless I have to.
    I know some of this will be fit and adjust, but I was hoping someone could save me some grief by starting me in the right direction.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Yes, but you have to use a truck V8 bell housing. So you have the rear mounts.

Comment

I wondered about the truck bell housing. A big truck housing would allow me to drill for the T5 bolt pattern like my brother did on his Transtar.
      Does using the stock bell housing position cause any extra problem with the fire wall?
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nothing that a BF hammer won't cure.

Comment

I would like the non Studebaker folks to think the install could be factory. The hammer would be a last resort.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

You wouldn't have to beat it that hard to make a goose egg size bump.

Comment

A goose egg would be okay. A nest of goose eggs wouldn't work.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have a very nice truck od tranny that I bought from joe hall that I thought I would use in my CE with a stude v8 but have decided against. I will be happy to sell it reasonably.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks for the offer. Since I already have a T5, and my brother likes his so well, I think I'll go that route. The stock Studebaker transmission would avoid having to adapt the bell housing, but the truck is modified anyway.
                  I originally considered just using a car bell housing and one of my T86 overdrive transmissions. The truck originally had a floor shifted T90 and I could adapt a floor shifter to the T86 to keep it stockish looking from the top.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    Thanks for the offer. Since I already have a T5, and my brother likes his so well, I think I'll go that route. The stock Studebaker transmission would avoid having to adapt the bell housing, but the truck is modified anyway.
                    I originally considered just using a car bell housing and one of my T86 overdrive transmissions. The truck originally had a floor shifted T90 and I could adapt a floor shifter to the T86 to keep it stockish looking from the top.
                    Sounds Cool!
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                    X