Home plating kit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home plating kit ?

Anyone ever tried a home plating kit? I'm thinking of one to can plate unpainted that would normally surface rusu. hood strikers, carb linkage and the like) This site has brush on kits for under $50, dip kits From $150.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Scotsman
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

A car dealer I worked for 12 years ago had some people that came in to do 'gold' plating on new Buicks[body emblems and stuff].They probably used the same type kit you're talking about.They did a nice job,you couldn't tell their work from the factory gold emblems. I don't remember much about it,but I remember seeing them with wires clipped to emblems on the car..

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A car dealer I worked for 12 years ago had some people that came in to do 'gold' plating on new Buicks[body emblems and stuff].They probably used the same type kit you're talking about.They did a nice job,you couldn't tell their work from the factory gold emblems. I don't remember much about it,but I remember seeing them with wires clipped to emblems on the car..

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

That's where i got the idea, they use the brush on gold kit. I've seen them do brush on chrome for a scratch or scuff in chrome too.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Scotsman
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That's where i got the idea, they use the brush on gold kit. I've seen them do brush on chrome for a scratch or scuff in chrome too.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Scotsman
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Caswell is located here in Ontario. He has a lot of interesting plating kits. Worth looking into.
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Caswell is located here in Ontario. He has a lot of interesting plating kits. Worth looking into.
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Rick Courtier has a kit like that.
                Perhaps he can give you the skinny on it.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Anyone ever tried a home plating kit? I'm thinking of one to can plate unpainted that would normally surface rusu. hood strikers, carb linkage and the like) This site has brush on kits for under $50, dip kits From $150.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                64 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Scotsman
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Rick Courtier has a kit like that.
                  Perhaps he can give you the skinny on it.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  64 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Scotsman
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have used the zinc plating kit from Eastwood to plate small parts and bolts, etc. with good results. Biggest item was the hood latch plate/lever assy on my '53. Its essential to get the parts clean. I derust stuff as much as possible mechanically then soak the parts in phosphoric acid solution before rinsing then immediately they go into the plating "tank". I found that the cheapest source of phosphoric acid is concentrated milking machine cleaner (acid + detergent) from the farm supply store. I've looked at the Caswell stuff before too, back when I was considering doing my own chrome potmetal after a really bad experience with a plating shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I have used the zinc plating kit from Eastwood to plate small parts and bolts, etc. with good results. Biggest item was the hood latch plate/lever assy on my '53. Its essential to get the parts clean. I derust stuff as much as possible mechanically then soak the parts in phosphoric acid solution before rinsing then immediately they go into the plating "tank". I found that the cheapest source of phosphoric acid is concentrated milking machine cleaner (acid + detergent) from the farm supply store. I've looked at the Caswell stuff before too, back when I was considering doing my own chrome potmetal after a really bad experience with a plating shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I have three of the Caswell kits. One for Copy Chrome, one for Copper and one for Gold. They are limited in what they do. The Chrome is a little duller than real chrome and hence is called, by Caswell, "Copy Chrome." I find the Copper works pretty well and I have gone to plating small pieces with copper and then buffing the item before I brush on the Copy Chrome. I have not had much luck getting the Gold to work well. It leaves dark spots and may be due to something I am not doing. The Copy Chrome does well on very small parts like screws.

Mike

Comment

I have three of the Caswell kits. One for Copy Chrome, one for Copper and one for Gold. They are limited in what they do. The Chrome is a little duller than real chrome and hence is called, by Caswell, "Copy Chrome." I find the Copper works pretty well and I have gone to plating small pieces with copper and then buffing the item before I brush on the Copy Chrome. I have not had much luck getting the Gold to work well. It leaves dark spots and may be due to something I am not doing. The Copy Chrome does well on very small parts like screws.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, I'll start with the zinc since I want to do hood strikers and hardware.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            64 GT R2
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            58 Scotsman
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks, I'll start with the zinc since I want to do hood strikers and hardware.

JDP/Maryland
                              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                              64 GT R2
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              58 Scotsman
                              52 & 53 Starliner
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...