Looking for headlight bulbs, 58 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for headlight bulbs, 58 President

If anyone has headlight bulbs that measure 5 3/4 across the front and they say GE sealed beam on the bottom they are probably the ones I need. There is a guy on ebay with the pic of a president selling the bulbs. He wants $45 each and will not insure that they work?? He also had a very take it or leave it attitude which struck me the wrong way for sure. I'm trying to make all my headlights match. I know........ some of you might say; what the heck for? It's just my way of making a Studebaker as good as I can make it. I love my car and I want to restore it to as close to perfection as possible. Call me crazy if you like.....
    Jim Rostron

Jim, I have one here "sealed beam" across the bottom type.should work,as I saved it but will test it for certain.you can pm me if you'd like.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Just order 2 Hi and 2 Lo Beam either Sylvania or Wagner new seal beams from your local FLAPS and they will all match, don't fool with shipping them from some cantankerous eBay seller.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Take a walk thru an older Pick-A-Part. Take all you need.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          Take a walk thru an older Pick-A-Part. Take all you need.
          1958 President- 289 3 speed with OD ( dost to date 40K) wish I could say ( $3,500.00)
          Jim Rostron

Comment

I put a set of ge h5024 in my hawk. Any truckstop or napa should have these around $15.00 each
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
              I put a set of ge h5024 in my hawk. Any truckstop or napa should have these around $15.00 each
              Yeah, but the Hawk uses a different size bulb than the '58 sedans.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That I didn't know , I thought that the round headlamps were standard
                sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
                  That I didn't know , I thought that the round headlamps were standard
                  The single (2) headlight systems and the dual (4) headlight systems take different size and function (the inner bulbs on the dual system are only high beam) bulbs.
                  This may be confusing, but single refers to one on each side for two all together and dual refers to two per side for four all together.
                  Last edited by studegary; 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I wish you would have replied this before I tested the ones I have.thought I was brain farting when they only worked on high beam setting "DUH !" QUOTE=studegary;773315]The single (2) headlight systems and the dual (4) headlight systems take different size and function (the inner bulbs on the dual system are only high beam) bulbs.
                    This may be confusing, but single refers to one on each side for two all together and dual refers to two per side for four all together.[/QUOTE]
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The 58 President uses a standard 5 and 3/4 inch round bulb which is available at most parts houses for a few bucks. Unless you want an original looking bulb, buy new ones. The halogens are a bunch brighter than the standard tungsten filament bulb and will last far longer. According to my Wagner book the bulbs you need are H5001 for the high beams and H5006 for the lows. Bud

Comment

Are the high beam bulbs different than the low beam? The ones I need are the inner ones (high beam). Though I wouldn't mind having some extra low beam too.
                        Last edited by mnmfive; 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM. Reason: Added more info
                        Jim Rostron

Comment

The outer bulbs have a three-pronged plug and have both high and low beams. The inner ones have two-pronged plugs and only have a single filament for high beam. Many, many other makes (eg, GM products) used exactly the same bulbs.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                            The outer bulbs have a three-pronged plug and have both high and low beams. The inner ones have two-pronged plugs and only have a single filament for high beam. Many, many other makes (eg, GM products) used exactly the same bulbs.
                            Thank you Skip.
                            Jim Rostron

Comment

I need to check my lamps to see if they work. I remember 3 of the 4 are GE's. I'm not sure which lamp is the odd one.
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X