Licensed and Insured - Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensed and Insured - Finally!

I bought this car from Pat Drnec in February of 2012. Pat has built many fine Studebakers including the Daytona hardtop he still owns. On this wagon, Pat got as far as having a professional base/clear paint job done on a rust free car, then life happened and he decided to sell it as a work in progress. Here's how it looked when it came off the trailer in Bellingham...

Pat included every thing he had for the car (and then some)...

Once I unloaded (and sorted), I could see the car was just as Pat described. There was no sign of any repaired rust. The pro body and paint work was excellent. The car was obviously taken completely apart when it was painted.

I started into it in ernest. I do a combination of cosmetic and mechanical projects on most cars. It keeps me more interested in the project to see it progressing in both areas. I assembled some of the trim and had Jerry Forester do the chrome. I also finished rebuilding and assembling the front end, rebuilt the power steering and other sub assemblies, new exhaust system, etc.

In June of 2012 I had an opportunity to consult for a start up Light Sport Aircraft manufacturer in Southern California. Too much fun to turn down, so the Wagonaire went on hold until that assignment was finished a year later. I'm back on it now and making progress. I finished wiring it last week...

...and today it was licensed and insured! I've put about 10 miles on it so far. At 100 or so I should have all the bugs sorted out.

The next step in the interior. I did dye the dash that Pat had recovered and it came out fine...

Pat had found a set of the Lark Bird portion of the seat material. This is the only part of the seats that can't be easily duplicated by a shop...

I got some near NOS door panels (and many, many other parts) from Bob Peterson.

I'll use a local upholster here to duplicate the stock seat colors and pattern.

This one has taken MUCH longer to do than is normal for me...due to the distraction of the consulting assignment...but I'm on the homestretch now.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Admirable work, Mr. Steinkamp. Better than factory, I bet.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

White really shows off the chrome and other details of that wagon. Nicely done.

Luckily work doesn't get in the way here anymore.

Bob

Comment

beautiful work Dick! I am inspired by your attention to detail.
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Congrats Dick. You have a right to be proud. Beautiful work.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Nice job Dick!!!
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              I bought this car from Pat Drnec in February of 2012. Pat has built many fine Studebakers including the Daytona hardtop he still owns. On this wagon, Pat got as far as having a professional base/clear paint job done on a rust free car, then life happened and he decided to sell it as a work in progress.
              In June of 2012 I had an opportunity to consult for a start up Light Sport Aircraft manufacturer in Southern California. Too much fun to turn down, so the Wagonaire went on hold until that assignment was finished a year later. I'm back on it now and making progress. I finished wiring it last week...

...and today it was licensed and insured! I've put about 10 miles on it so far. At 100 or so I should have all the bugs sorted out.
              This one has taken MUCH longer to do than is normal for me...due to the distraction of the consulting assignment...but I'm on the homestretch now.
              Looking good Dick.
              You build beautiful cars.
              The only thing I would change is the colors of the battery cables. IMHO, positive should be red and negative should be black.
              And I prefer a larger air cleaner. But I'm not going to buy the car, so it really doesn't matter what I think. <G>
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Amazing work, as always, Dick! No doubt, Pat deserves a lot of the credit for getting the project off to a great start, but you are to be commended for your ability to pick up where other folks have left off, and make it all come together.

Very impressive, indeed!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Great looking sanitary piece of work Dick. Always scary though to start on someone else's project not knowing if you received all the pieces.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It looks fantastic, very nice work.

Comment

A gleaming testament to Studebaker and YOUR efforts!
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        White really shows off the chrome and other details of that wagon.
                        I think the '63 Daytona/Cruiser trim was some of the best looking Studebaker did. I agree that it looks best against the lighter colors.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Luckily work doesn't get in the way here anymore.

Bob
                        I never was a big fan of work before I retired (they don't call it WORK for nothing ), but I really do like these occasional consulting gigs. They have been a lot of fun and contribute a little towards other car projects also.

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        Looking good Dick.
                        You build beautiful cars.
                        I think it is the chrome that gives that impression

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        The only thing I would change is the colors of the battery cables. IMHO, positive should be red and negative should be black.
                        And I prefer a larger air cleaner.
                        I agree completely. I had both "in inventory".

On the battery cables, I thought I'd put the red one on + and the black one on -, but I forgot about the different size battery posts ...so I installed them anyway. It certainly can be confusing to someone who might give it a jump start.

Besides being too small for the scale of the engine compartment, the little one makes a BIG sucking sound . I might have liked that 40 years ago, but being in the youth of my old age, it is not an attractive sound to me. I tried to camouflage it by painting it semi flat black, but obviously that didn't do the trick. I do want to try a couple other carbs on this engine. When I decide on one, I'll up the air cleaner size...hopefully to a stock or stock looking one.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Mighty pretty car you have there...

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            A gleaming testament to Studebaker and YOUR efforts!
                            Thanks,Bob.
                            It's running that 1960 259 that I got from you with that purple Lark. I opened it up to check it and reseal it and it pretty much looked like new inside. It doesn't leak a drop and doesn't smoke under any conditions (which makes me wonder if really is a Chevy with Stude valve covers ). I just got back cruising down to Brian Curtis' place and back (about 25 miles). Oil pressure was steady mid scale the whole trip. Thanks for the great engine!
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Simply awesome !

Comment

Working...
                              X