Turn signals ceased working 62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn signals ceased working 62 Hawk

Drove it last night and the turn signals ceased working.

Is this a common problem for Hawks?
    Is this a fused circuit?
    If so, where is it?

As always - thanks.
    sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Look for a flasher unit near your fuse box. If it is loose or not working, that would be an easy fix. Do your brake lights still work? The flasher unit interrupts the brake light circuit. Corrosion is the enemy, too. Common for hawks? Not really. Common for any 50 year old car. Yup.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Could be a bad flasher unit, could be one of the two fuses on the little phenolic board that holds the flasher "can", could be a broken hot wire or ground. Did they work OK and suddenly quit? Do all the other lights (dash, park, dome) work? Did you recently change or add something to your wiring? A multimeter and wiring diagram is your friend, look for wiring diagram in a shop manual if you have one.

Comment

Same here in my '62, but it was my brake lights. The two fuses are right next to each other on a small board with the flasher can. The bottom fuse is for the brake lights, the top fuse (must be) for the flashers. I could see the burned filament in the brake fuse just by getting under there and shining a light on it. It takes some contortions to get in the right position to look or to replace. But if I had known that fuse was there, it would have saved me some cutting and soldering on the top side of the harness.

Paul
        I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Advice from an old guy: if you are going to spend any amount of time under the dash of a GT Hawk, it is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to remove the seat. For quick things like changing the TS or brake/dome light fuse, a small stool about sill panel height placed next to the rocker panel will save some wear and tear on your back and neck.....

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            Advice from an old guy: ... For quick things like changing the TS or brake/dome light fuse, a small stool about sill panel height placed next to the rocker panel will save some wear and tear on your back and neck.....
            Great advice on the stool.

But as rusty as things are on my floor, I think it'll be more than 10 minutes on those seat bolts once I tackle it!

Paul
            I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
            1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Only the first time!
              Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post

But as rusty as things are on my floor, I think it'll be more than 10 minutes on those seat bolts once I tackle it!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post

Paul
                Is your Studebaker automatic frame and floor oiler not working?

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  Could be a bad flasher unit, could be one of the two fuses on the little phenolic board that holds the flasher "can", could be a broken hot wire or ground. Did they work OK and suddenly quit? Do all the other lights (dash, park, dome) work? Did you recently change or add something to your wiring? A multimeter and wiring diagram is your friend, look for wiring diagram in a shop manual if you have one.
                  Just stopped working. Looked at the fuses when I took it back to the storage garage - but forgot my reading glasses, so I couldnt really tell. It has some aftermarket hazard flasher wired into it - and that stilll works.

Comment

So the 4 way Flashers working eliminates the Parking & Tail Light Wiring, Bulb Sockets, Connections and Bulbs as the problem.
                    It is most likely the Flasher or Fuse or their Connections/Terminals.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks gang. Figured it out when I pulled the kick panel out and the flasher rolled out. Plugged it back in and the turn signals worked again. A Tridon 12 flasher got the hazards working again.

The car will now be safe for driving to the Iron Invasion in 10 days! www.ironinvasion.com

Comment

Working...
                      X