X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Magazine - 50 worst cars of all time

No Studes! But some crazy choices IMO.

Leonard Shepherd

Yes, I guess such choices are truly in the mind of the reviewer... I was scratching my head over some of their choices.[B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Yes, I guess such choices are truly in the mind of the reviewer... I was scratching my head over some of their choices.[B)]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Thought the slamming of the Model T Ford was inappropriate - it may not have been much, but it did provide a low-priced vehicle that the average man could afford, and Henry Ford, for all the ill will directed against him for some of his schemes/ideas did the world a service.
        Also have to admire a man who built the Ford Motor Company from nothing as a farmer/tinkerer to what it was at his death in 1948.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thought the slamming of the Model T Ford was inappropriate - it may not have been much, but it did provide a low-priced vehicle that the average man could afford, and Henry Ford, for all the ill will directed against him for some of his schemes/ideas did the world a service.
          Also have to admire a man who built the Ford Motor Company from nothing as a farmer/tinkerer to what it was at his death in 1948.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Seems like the author has a few axes to grind. A number his "worst" picks are not so much bad cars, than they got adopted by a market niche that he disapproves of.

And some of his picks are prototypes or one-offs that never got sold to the public, like the Scripps Bi-Autogo. That's an absolutely gorgeous piece of automotive art, that anticipated customizers like Ed Roth or George Barris by a full 40 years.

There's a reason why Time Magazine is swirling in the bowl.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Seems like the author has a few axes to grind. A number his "worst" picks are not so much bad cars, than they got adopted by a market niche that he disapproves of.

And some of his picks are prototypes or one-offs that never got sold to the public, like the Scripps Bi-Autogo. That's an absolutely gorgeous piece of automotive art, that anticipated customizers like Ed Roth or George Barris by a full 40 years.

There's a reason why Time Magazine is swirling in the bowl.

Comment

The EV1 as a pick is a fine line the author is treading, especially what's been coming out lately(oooh Tesla). The author needs to look a little more into the EV1 before he tears it apart. Truth be known the technology had been around a little while longer than the author proclaims . Plug it in at home, plug it in at work, whoopie. Operates like an oversize golf cart. Dunno about expensive but apparently the car ran so bad(sarchastic wit, lol) that GM wanted to crush the leased ones back pretty bad from people who used them more than just a little. To me it was a vehicle that worked too well and didn't need the necessary maintenance. GM saw it afterwards, freaked, killed the line, and wanted to remove all evidence of the product so nobody else would ask for it. For a vehicle that was so horrible then, those people waiting out by the holding area for days on end where the vehicles were loaded to be crushed, must have been waiting for the free coffee and donuts instead [xx(] .

Yeah, the author must have been a Benz person to downplay the Model T made for the rest of us.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The EV1 as a pick is a fine line the author is treading, especially what's been coming out lately(oooh Tesla). The author needs to look a little more into the EV1 before he tears it apart. Truth be known the technology had been around a little while longer than the author proclaims . Plug it in at home, plug it in at work, whoopie. Operates like an oversize golf cart. Dunno about expensive but apparently the car ran so bad(sarchastic wit, lol) that GM wanted to crush the leased ones back pretty bad from people who used them more than just a little. To me it was a vehicle that worked too well and didn't need the necessary maintenance. GM saw it afterwards, freaked, killed the line, and wanted to remove all evidence of the product so nobody else would ask for it. For a vehicle that was so horrible then, those people waiting out by the holding area for days on end where the vehicles were loaded to be crushed, must have been waiting for the free coffee and donuts instead [xx(] .

Yeah, the author must have been a Benz person to downplay the Model T made for the rest of us.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Think about the EV-1 for a minute.... It plugs into a 110 socket (no gas needed) and it needs minimal service (no oil changes, tune up's, exhaust work, etc.). The manufacturers quickly realized that their whole business model would be turned upside down.

Comment

Think about the EV-1 for a minute.... It plugs into a 110 socket (no gas needed) and it needs minimal service (no oil changes, tune up's, exhaust work, etc.). The manufacturers quickly realized that their whole business model would be turned upside down.

Comment

This "writer" must have been in womens dress designs before taking on this project.I know more about brain surgery than he does about automobiles.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

This "writer" must have been in womens dress designs before taking on this project.I know more about brain surgery than he does about automobiles.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Having owned a couple of Explorer's, I was surprised to see it on the list. Turns out it was included not because there was antything wrong with the vehicle, but because it caused soccer mons to buy it because they liked to sit up high and contributed to the SUV craze. How does that make it the worst of all time (expecially since the Vega was't included)?????? [xx(]

Comment

Having owned a couple of Explorer's, I was surprised to see it on the list. Turns out it was included not because there was antything wrong with the vehicle, but because it caused soccer mons to buy it because they liked to sit up high and contributed to the SUV craze. How does that make it the worst of all time (expecially since the Vega was't included)?????? [xx(]

Comment

Working...
                              X