Changes between years for 289 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Changes between years for 289 engine

So another query; I have two engines, a 1962 and a 1963. Both have the oil pump beneath the block. Other that the intake manifolds, which are both four barrel but the newer one has larger secondary ports, is there any differences in the motors?

No there is no difference, IF you are talking about them both having a Oil Filter Adapter on the right rear lower side of the Block.
    They all have the Oil Pump in the Oil Pan.

The '62 would have to be a late '62, with the Valve Covers with Oil Caps, and no Oil Filler Pipe to have that feature.

The '62 Intake fits the square bore Carter WCFB four barrel, and the '63 fits the Carter AFB (and Edelbrock AFB clone) 4 Brl. Carbs.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2013, 06:23 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, I thought so. But wasn't sure, I ask because the engine in the newer car has problems while the one from the 63 is pretty fresh. But if I swap them I will need to make the changes to the 62 engine to accept the automatic from the 63.

Comment

Late '62 full flow engines still used the front standpipe only, with no breather caps on the valve covers.

Comment

Jerry! Can you also bring me a valley cover gasket? Thank you

Comment

Thank you Studebaker Center of Oregon for clarifying the oil filler pipe issue for me. I have a late '62 full flow with the oil filler tube (and no breather caps on the valve covers) and I was uncertain if someone had changed some things. Looks like it is original (now if I can only get it unstuck!).
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
            X