door sill weatherstripping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: door sill weatherstripping question

Replacing the door sill weatherstripping on my 63 wagonaire. The old stuff was stripped out years ago when I started doing body prep and welding for paint. My question is this. There is a lip on the weatherstripping. Does the lip point up, or down? Now , if I adhere to the old addage "think like water" the lip should point downto protect water from the road from being thrown past it up into the sill Area. also any water from inside the car that wound up here would run off instead of filling up the lip and just sitting there. However, when I set it in this way, it doesn't seem to catch the bottom of the doors properly, and actually misses completely in some areas. The doors seem to fit properly. So, maybe it it supposed to be fitted with the lip facing up? If you know or have an original car you could check please let me know
    Kelly

Page 66 in the S.I. catalogue shows the lip upward,and that is the way I put them on my Hawk. They are glued to the sill[vertical]and glued to the rocker,[horizontal] It seems to me,if the lip aimed downward,the door would want to push it out and down,exposing it along the bottom of the door.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

lip is up....

Comment

I cut the edge off where the door drain areas are, and always 'open' up those drains with a screwdriver. Ever notice the old seals are tight, and new ones seem tighter? When the doors are closed, they fill up with water and slowly leak into the car or drain when opened? You might not get this problem in Roswell.... but do check them each time you wash your car and leave the doors open awhile. (mainly rear doors)

Comment

Working...
        X