Auburn LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Auburn LSD

Just a quick note on bearings. As noted in the Auburn catalog using there LSD for the Dana 44 19 with spline axles, like so many we use, will require a different size carrier cone bearing, the cups are the same size. It is the internal diameter that is larger. This makes the same size as the later 65-66 flanged axle differentials used by Studebaker. Also the shims will have to be of the larger diameter type, same as many Dana 30 centers. I have just gone through this learning experience.

So I am I reading this correctly, after you install a brand new Auburn LSD= Limited Slip Diff. complete Carrier with 19 spline axles, using your old Ring and Pinion (or not) you will still have Tapered Axles, NO?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry for not fully expounding on the situation. So here goes, the brief version. Was given the 44 housing with an open carrier, 4.54 ring and pinion and tapered axles. I purchased new the Auburn LSD, Moser flanged alloy axles, new bearings seals shims etc... and also a used 3.73 R/P. The only thing I am using from the original is the housing. After purchasing a new master install kit I decided to go for the LSD. While going through the parts the other day I noticed the new carrier bearings would no way fit the new carrier. So, new 25590 cones were needed. Also the carrier shims had to be renewed. Interesting findings awaited me while pulling all the old parts apart. The original 4.54 carrier had been put together using larger inner diameter shims and therefore some of them were moved laterally and distorted. Putting together all new to the housing parts is a challenge for me but can be done. After getting quotes ranging from $200-450 to setup the pinion depth and carrier backlash and then adjust for correct pattern I have decided to do it myself. This could take some time but I have purchased a cheaper set of new carrier bearings to be used for setup bearings. This will take some grinding and honing of the inner surface to be able to be slid on and off the carrier. I already have setup bearings for the pinion, although I only need the cup to slide in and out of the housing for the pinion.

As I mentioned in the first post the 65-66 flanged axles have the same 25590 carrier bearings. So anyone doing this job on one of those differentials has the old bearings to save as setups.

Comment

That sounds like it is going to be a sweet setup when finished, quite a strong R/A.

I also always thought that it is a bit pricey to have a Pro Shop, 4X4 or whatever setup one of these common Dana 44's, so with a lot of careful work it should not be rocket science.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's where the time factor comes into it. If I wanted it now then I would have to pay the price but a have a few weeks/months so I can take my time and get it right. The only thing that could be of question is the ring and pinion but it looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            That's where the time factor comes into it. If I wanted it now then I would have to pay the price but a have a few weeks/months so I can take my time and get it right. The only thing that could be of question is the ring and pinion but it looks fine.
            Did my first 44 last fall using the relieved bearing to set up clearances. I had a used R&P and a low mileage Posi. As you described, it takes a lot of fiddling to get all of the clearances correct and I had to make the spreader. Luckily I have the tool gauges necessary. When you start with parts that have not been matched before it is a lot of in and out.

However, when you're done and the wipe pattern looks like the Dana book says it should, It's worth the time. You will also understand why it's $150 to $250 in this area.

It's not rocket science but it's not trivial either. Keep posting as you go.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X