No announcement yet.

Vibration solved? (kinda long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Vibration solved? (kinda long)

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

A few decades go, I recall wheels were spun-balanced on the vehicle, so the entire rotating mass was balanced, by adding weights to the wheels. I guess those machines became extinct as technology improved with permanently balancing hubs & rotors at the factory. Now days, the tire & wheel are removed & balanced, then re-installed, with no attention whatsoever to the rest of the rotating mass.
    Glad you finally fixed it.

Comment

Don't speak too soon and jinx it all!
      Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      A few decades go, I recall wheels were spun-balanced on the vehicle, so the entire rotating mass was balanced, by adding weights to the wheels. I guess those machines became extinct as technology improved with permanently balancing hubs & rotors at the factory. Now days, the tire & wheel are removed & balanced, then re-installed, with no attention whatsoever to the rest of the rotating mass.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        I also remenber they useto cut the tires round with a tire cutter before spinning them on the car

Comment

JB weld may be different, but the epoxies I used to use back in the 70's softened up around 450. I'm glad they came up with something better.

Congratulations on figuring out the vibration, though. That must have been a very gratifying experience.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well done! I think you deserve a bottle of champagne or two for your perseverance. My grand father told me that , in the twenties, when they needed to balance a wheel, they used glass putty to determine the exact weight. The same weight of tin was then soldered onto the wheel. About spun-balancing wheels on the vehicule, I heard they experienced some trouble when it was applied to traction wheels. This would cause serious damages to the diff with the opposite wheel spinning in the other direction.
            sigpic

Comment

Spin balancing wheel, hub and tire together is a great idea as long as you index wheel and lugs so that you never rotate the wheel on the hub. Tire rotations will destroy the balance and even having a flat fixed will change the balance. A solution you might try is "Balancing Beads". Check them out on the internet. A lot of long haul truckers use them now as they continually balance all rotating masses and constantly change as speeds increase or decrease. They come in ceramic, which breaks down with time, and stainless steel that last nearly forever. They totally replace any wheel weights. I had vibration problems with the front of my F350 Dually at different speeds and was told about the beads. I ordered the correct number of ounces for my tires and installed them through the valve stem. You can also install a bag of them as you mount the tires, which is a lot easier. Once the air pressure is in the tire and it rotates a few times the thin bag breaks and the beads are free to find the points to balance. The nice part is you can still do tire rotations and don't have to worry about the hub/wheel index. Just order a couple extra bags to keep in case of a flat because the beads will probably not be salvaged by the tire repair shop and if you have a blow out on the highway, check for small animals that you may have shot.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The last spin balance & tire shaving I recall, was with a new set of tires on the 62GT in 29 Palms, California at Western Auto, around 1990. That car was smooth as glass for a few thousand miles.

Comment

Working...
                X