it seems obvious....NOS single exhaust install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: it seems obvious....NOS single exhaust install

.....from the parts' book, I see the front pipe(that before the muffler) with the bend up in the area of the left side, parking brake cable. I believe the exhaust pipe goes over the cable, not under it as I've seen some installs ...?

Year, model?
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Most years and models do go under the Parking Brake cable, but not all.
      For one, C and K Models are much different.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1962 V8 station wagon..

Comment

Ok I see what you are seeing, yes '59-'64 WYFJLD and P Model V8's with single Exhaust all have the Cable coming from the left going under the "dip up" in the Right Rear Exhaust Pipe.

The only difference on D and P Model Wagons of course is, you do not want rear Tailpipe exits to be in the rear, but diagonally out the corners of the bumper to throw the exhaust away from the vacuum at the rear.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

...when I got these NOS pipes and muffler, the tailpipe was "not" the correct one for the 62' wagon. What I have is a pre- 62' pipe (maybe late 50's) that does in fact exit diagonally outward away from the corner of the bumper, but appears to be at least a foot too long... I'm away from the garage, so I don't have the part number on the tailpipe (if its there)..... I seem to remember a longer platform under the tail gate of earlier wagons ? Also, if I've got the tailpipe aligned correctly out from the muffler, the opening of the pipe is beveled to direct exhaust air straight back.... Get the picture: diagonally away from the back of the car, but forcing the air straight back..... I'm trying (alone) to align and hang all the pipes/muffler before I clamp them together. And once again, the tailpipe wants to rub against the gas tank or pass. side frame rail......and Rich: does that vacuum exist in the sedans too, or only the wagons, especially if the gate window is open ??

Comment

I think I am following you Jack. You are saying that the angle cut on the end of the pipe is aiming the exhaust REARWARD even though the pipe exits diagonally out the corner of the bumper.

This pipe would work great on Dave (StudeDave57) and my '57 Wagons because that is what it is for, they have a 116 inch W/B vs your 113 plus a longer rear fender and farther aft bumper.

Does the Tailpipe tilt quite a bit Inboard as it goes over the axle?
              If it does then the exit (angle) should be straight down as it comes out the corner. This pipe may not fit between the gas tank and frame like it should and of course it is too long.
              I would order the correct one from S.I. and sell that one.

I am pretty sure there is some vacuum behind the more squared off rear ends of the Sedans, but not nearly as much as a Wagon and with a well sealed Trunk Lid it would not be a problem, but with a possibly OPEN or leaky tailgate it is.

I do not actually know, I have never wind tunnel tested one.

Not only that, but straight pipes coming out the back of Wagons and Pickups is one of my bigger pet peeves.. just LOOKS way Wrong! Possibly because it IS.
              That is filed right in the same Category as the idiots driving around with Clear Bulbs in their New Cars designed to have
              AMBER Bulbs in the Clear Lens, rear Turn Signal Lights.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-27-2013, 01:26 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is nothing like your car, but sorta shows what Dad is trying to say~

That'd be what things look like under Cleo, my '58 Packard.

There's a picture of my Parkview's tail end somewhere on Dad's computer.
                But I am not there to find it, sorry.

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave & Rich: Bugger....I just found this follow up because I'm looking to comment on finishing the install (one of these days I'll take some pics). Yes, I do notice that the tailpipe does dive inboard over the right axle tube. I was wondering about the shock action on the down movement and possible rubbing....but....my physics tells me that when those 63-66' tube shocks depress down, they also deflect up and probably out ? In any case, my tailpipe looks nothing like Dave's pic (left side/dual exhaust system?). My tailpipe (installed now) pretty much shoots out diagonally from the outer edge of the rear bumper in a straight line, with the cut in the pipe directing gasses nearly straight back. The install went nice. I used some old exhaust pipe grease (beige color) which allowed for the needed twisting before locking the clamps. The tailpipe fits perfectly between the right frame rail and gas tank. New rubber hangers, and I'm a happy (s)dude.......I will likely have to cut the pipe due to its extent and likely shin bashing position.....Perhaps an aftermarket chrome deflector sending gasses downward......

Comment

It sounds like you are saying that the Pipe sticks out diagonally way past the bumper and will have to be cut a lot shorter, as you can see on Dave's Sedan, (Wagons are very much the same) they are supposed to be under the Bumper, Larks curve UP and then down to release the exhaust downward just like this '58 Packard Sedan.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X