Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door glass

How do you replace the door window on a 1950 Stude Champion? Vern

There's a couple pages in the shop manual to cover the procedure. It would be pretty tedious to type it all out here. Why not get a copy of the manual? For $19.95 you can get it, as well as the chassis parts catalog , the body parts catalog and the owners manual all on one CD-ROM. You would then have more technical information than you will ever need to maintain your '50.

The short version: Remove door handles and armrests, remove trim panel, remove regulator retainer clips, remove window from door. Have glass company replace glass in bracket, reverse for install.
    Last edited by rockne10; 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thank you for your help! I worked as a line mechanic for many years, but was never around Stude's. I will take your advise and get the shop manuals that I need. Thanks again, Vern

Comment

Back before I had the manuals, the only part of this job that I found needing explanation was the removal of the clips from the door and window handles. You will need the proper tool to push the clips out or make one from an old putty knife like I did. The arm rest removes with screws so it's not a big issue.
        The trickiest part, on an old car with the original door panels, is getting the clips out that hold the panel without tearing the panel or breaking the clip. You must pry very carefully near where the clip goes into the door. There is a tool for this, but a wide screw driver used cautiously will work.
        Once the door panel is off you can reach the clips that hold the glass to the regulator.
        You will probably have to remove the felt strips from the bottom of the window opening to have enough room for the glass to come out. After removing the clips and taking the glass off the pins, turn the glass a quarter turn and ease it up and out of the window opening. Go carefully and you will be okay.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Where do I purchase the three service manuals on DVD-ROM? I appreciate your help, Vern

Comment

Available from many of our Studebaker vendors. Some with online catalogs in pdf format. The largest supplier is Studebaker International but, perhaps some others would like to solicit your business. It is important that we support ALL of them if our hobby is to survive.
            Here is a link to many of them.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Last edited by rockne10; 08-22-2013, 06:53 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X