My leaky 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My leaky 289

I need rear main seals and a pan gasket for my 63' 289 V8, but the only seals I can find are on ebay for 45 dollars. Do parts stores carry these anymore? I dont want to be a CASO, but 45 bux sounds a bit high for these.

I should also, mention that the $45 is for the main seals only. I have yet to check prices on the pan gasket.

Comment

Phone Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker and support a Studebaker Vendor or take your pick here:http://www.studebakervendors.com/
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

These should be available thru most parts houses, but not likely stocked. RockAuto (online) lists the seal for $17.49 +postage.
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering the main seal off of rockauto. It was half the price ebay was asking.The oil pan gasket I might already have.

Comment

evilhawk evilbay just sayin'

from a former MN, resident
            Mark Riesch
            New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
              It was half the price ebay was asking.
              Ebay is not a market place to look for common maintenance items. It's fine to go there for those unobtanium items, assuming you can't make it to a swap meet, but...our own vendors http://www.studebakervendors.com/ , as well as NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly's, Fisher's, etc. have access to all your maintenance needs. Your local FLAPS may not have someone who wants to bother looking up the requisite part but, they could if they wanted to.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

depends on which "FLAPS" you're at - and how many folks are in line behind you.

i've found going to a NAPA or Carquest on a weekday for a hard to find part (at least here), you may get a ol' fart that wants to help and hit their old books to find it or at least find a comparable part # that overlaps with another non-Studebaker vehicle. YMMV...

Still, if it's not a emergency part that needs replacing "today" go with a Studebaker Vendor!!!
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

you can buy a full gasket kit out of O'RIEllYS for around $60.00 getting individual gaskets is getting hard to do .

Comment

Originally posted by JunkYardDog View Post
                    you can buy a full gasket kit out of O'RIEllYS for around $60.00 getting individual gaskets is getting hard to do .
                    Hmm.. wish I would have done that instead. Oh well you live you learn I guess.

Comment

Like Rockne and R2 for me, I hit eBay until I started dealing with our Stude vendors. Phil Harris, Stude Int'l, Classic Enterprises and the rest are first class people and a valuable resource. I found a bunch of rubber grommets on eBay for way more than the same ones in the S.I. catalogue. I pm'd the eBay vendor to tell him and his reply was "Where do you think I'm getting them?" LOL
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The only reason I even considered ebay is because I thought shipping may be faster and I have a paypal account with them so I wouldnt have to enter any credit card info online. But, yeah your right Ebay is a total rip off. I think years ago it was better with lower more reasonable prices, but things have changed and it seems people are just trying to take advantage of each other. I think Im going to get the newest Studebaker international catalog. I have dealt with them in the past and they seem like very honest people. I just dont like their electronic payment method... doesnt look too secure to me.

Comment

Well, you can also fax your order in with CC info. Once you are on file and have a customer # they keep your info on file. Unless you fax to the wrong number, you should be good with Stude Int'l. Good luck.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                          X