PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle: Need some help with the numbers for my rear pinion seal

new2drive
08-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Does anyone happen to know the Timkin or National numbers for what would be the rear pinion seal on a 1940 Studebaker Commander?
The fluid is redish that is leaking and it doesn't seem to be tranny fluid.

Do I need to supply more info?

There seems to be some disagreement on which it is.
Any help woudl be great!
Thanks in advance...

Bo Markham
08-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Does anyone happen to know the Timkin or National numbers for what would be the rear pinion seal on a 1940 Studebaker Commander?
The fluid is redish that is leaking and it doesn't seem to be tranny fluid.

Do I need to supply more info?

There seems to be some disagreement on which it is.
Any help woudl be great!
Thanks in advance...

I could probably look up the National number, but I have new seals for aound $15.00.

StudeRich
08-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Drain that whatever stuff OUT of there!
Only GL5 85-90 or 90 wt. Hypoid lubricant is acceptable in a Differential. You may have moisture and rust or additives in there.

No wonder it needs a New Seal.

new2drive
08-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys.... I am pretty usre what is leaking is what they just filled it with at the garage. I had the car lubed and greased. I was pretty sure the guy knew what he was doing.

Rich... I'll make sure the correct stuff goes into it this weekend (or when I get the seal)

Bo, could you do both? Do you take paypal? please send me an email!

new2drive
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
OK, got the pinion seal in and now and getting ready to replace it. Do I need a special tool like in Jeeps? Or is it an easy change out?

I was told that if it needs the special tool to seat correctly and it isn't done right.. the mechanic might not know.... it coudl easily get crushed and I will be putting another in quickly..

Is it a straight, quick change out?

thxs,
Dan

StudeRich
08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
The GM Rear axles your Mechanic is used to have a "Crush Sleeve", a Dana R/A has none.
Studebaker used a tool to stop the R/A Flange from turning so you could unscrew the Nut, that's about it.

It should be pretty straight forward as long you know which direction the new type seal goes in, it is different than the original and uses no gasket behind it.

new2drive
08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Rich,

THANK YOU!
Aside form that, it should be a straight forward hour or so job then... it will need ot be refilled with the correct grease/lube then as per your recomendations.

Car is driving a lot better now that I am more comfortable "clutching". I tell you, you can really feel th eweight of the car when you get moving and then slow back down... I'll be looking to buy extra brakes before too long as I am sure I will go through them.

I also go the windows replaced and channel in. I am hesitant to do too much with the seals as it will all have to come back off to paint.

After th epinion seal is replaced and tests out... next will be aftermarket turn signals... if I want my kids in this car.. they are a must!

As always, thanks!
Dan