PDA

View Full Version : Can't tell what switch is for.

davette59
08-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a 78 Avanti and in the glove box right behind the trunk release latch there is a toggle switch and I cannot find out what it works. I'm not sure if it's part of the original equipment or if it was added. If it was added he certainly picked a difficult place to put it.
Also, the only way I can get my trunk open is to have my wife pull it open while I hold the latch button. Is there a spring missing that lets the trunk pop up enough so that it doesn't re-latch when the button is released? When the button is released it simply latches again and when you go around to open it it's latched again. Most trunks I've seen pop up a little so that when the latch goes back in place trunk is open enough so that it won't re-latch.

GinettaG12P
08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Some after-market retracting radio antennas required a toggle switch that many owners installed in the glove box.

wolfie
08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Have you flipped that switch with the engine running? Many people set a switch in an obscure way to kill the ignition as an anti-theft device. One of Dads Avantis had a switch in the glovebox for that purpose. One of the others had the switch integrated with the cigar lighter which worked well also. If its not for that you are on your own. Steve

08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I have a 78 Avanti and in the glove box right behind the trunk release latch there is a toggle switch and I cannot find out what it works. I'm not sure if it's part of the original equipment or if it was added. If it was added he certainly picked a difficult place to put it.
Also, the only way I can get my trunk open is to have my wife pull it open while I hold the latch button. Is there a spring missing that lets the trunk pop up enough so that it doesn't re-latch when the button is released? When the button is released it simply latches again and when you go around to open it it's latched again. Most trunks I've seen pop up a little so that when the latch goes back in place trunk is open enough so that it won't re-latch.
Though it won't pop up when you press the electric release button, the latch should open and stay open until the trunk lid is firmly closed.

jimmijim8
08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
You might try following the wire so as to see what it goes to.