Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder if studebaker would be doing things like this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if studebaker would be doing things like this??

Ran across this Video. Not Studebakers, but, wonder if it woulda,coulda, shoulda??? Found it fascinating!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0 Gordon

Well, Gordon; if they were still in business, they'd have to be!

Seriously, that's probably a little more automation than most plants nowadays, but not much. Of course, the primary sheet material being aluminum (I believe that's what he said) is different than sheet steel. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nothing's changed in the process...just a few less paychecks to be signed....that's all! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=ACHTUNG

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Nothing's changed in the process...just a few less paychecks to be signed....that's all! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=ACHTUNG Craig
        Good one, Craig. And to think there's over 75 years of manufacturing progress between those two videos. Wow. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If I recall the Tesla plant was a GM/Toyota joint venture plant acquired including equipment for 10 cents on the dollar. That GM loan might not have been quite as big if it had been purchased at market value. But, if the plant had been purchased at market value TESLA likely would not be here today. They still have a way to go financially for long term survival but operating efficiencies of a plant this automated have got to help.

I'm not sure how much of the automation in the video was part of the purchase and how much was TESLA after the purchase. But, I'm sure the automation contributes to the fact that TESLA has made it much farther than other recent new car start-ups including various iterations of the Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
            Ran across this Video. Not Studebakers, but, wonder if it woulda,coulda, shoulda???
            I guess a robot would be the 'grandson' in the famous 'father & son' photos in Studebaker ads.

Craig

Comment

This is a pretty standard auto assembly line in a modern facility. It may be a little different in an older plant, but not by much. They are saying there's 3000 employees there. It depends on how many shifts they have. I know Chrysler has the Grand Cherokee and Durango plant (Jefferson Assy) running on three shifts and they employ 4500. I think the Dodge truck plant runs two shifts with 3500. But it's an older plant.

This was one of numerous problems with Studebaker. They had an antique plant. Not only would have Studebaker needed to completely design a new car (and out do GM), but they had to meet emissions and safety requirements, they would have needed the plant to build the car. You couldn't continue to built Larks and Hawks. You couldn't continue building the trucks of the time. And by now, that plant would by over 40 years old.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If I had the computer skills!
                Sneak into the plant some night,
                Program in 1963 Lark Wagonaire specs.
                Hit the run button, viola! A brand new electric Wagonaire!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                X