PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Palma approved battery hold down????

starliner62
08-18-2013, 07:27 PM
A couple of weeks ago, while working on one of my fine delivery vehicles, I discovered a neat battery tray and hold down for my Lark. Today, in between working on trucks, Mustangs, Commanders and Hawks, I decided to see how this tray/hold down would work. I cleaned, sanded, cleaned again and painted the inner fender, then installed the box. I figured that I has better get the Palma seal of approval before tackling the 58. :woot: I got such a deal on 65 series batteries that I bought one for each of my cars. They are a little larger than the 24 series batteries that came in our Studes, but not quite as tall.

63t-cab
08-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Jamie, I like the looks and the set up just as you see on newer vehicles. so what is this tray made for ?,or is it universal?

StudeRich
08-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I guess that depends if you were looking for the Palma "Adequate" Seal or the "Factory Correct" Seal of approval!

Really? A Group 65 Battery in a Studebaker! :( Minus 10 Points. :D

starliner62
08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
The battery tray is out of a Ford E-250, 2006 or 2007. I like it because it sits flat and is really easy to install.
Rich, I'm not worried about "factory correct" with this car. If everything goes as planned, this car will be Studebaker powered, but nowhere near correct.

BobPalma
08-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Wonderful, Jamie; thumbs-up and cool beans all the way! :D :!: :!!:

Those are nice side-mounts like that, aren't they?

And speaking of side mounts, you guys will get a kick out of learning that I lost the little side/base-mount battery hold-down for my 1972 LeSabre convertible! I took the battery out last fall to use in another car and darned if I can find the car's little hold-down this year, anywhere! :mad:

Anyway, good work. :D BP

Deaf Mute
08-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Bob, did you look in the carb?

BobPalma
08-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Bob, did you look in the carb?

It can't be there, Duane; I never removed the air cleaner and I've driven the car quite a bit since I lost it. I just got another one. (I even unbolted and removed the battery tray, just to make sure it hadn't slipped under the fender or something.)

They are so small I bet I laid it somewhere in the engine room and didn't see it when looking for it. Then, it fell out when I drove the car. Weird. Bob

Deaf Mute
08-18-2013, 10:37 PM
I lost an exhaust manifold for my '53 for two years and it ended up on top of my storage cabinet. (I now have an X Ron Hall manifold on that side of the mill.) I also had four blasted and repainted rims stacked in a corner of my shop in the Fall turn into five rims the following Spring:eek: One NEVER knows what goes on in a shop when we aint there.

JRoberts
08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
The battery tray is out of a Ford E-250, 2006 or 2007. I like it because it sits flat and is really easy to install.
Rich, I'm not worried about "factory correct" with this car. If everything goes as planned, this car will be Studebaker powered, but nowhere near correct.

The car may not be original but I bet it will be correct. Looks good and I know of a Cruiser and a Cbamp that would love that set up.

Chucks Stude
08-19-2013, 07:58 AM
You know, an Interstate battery might be correct for a Studebaker. I just heard the CEO of Interstate Batteries on the radio, talking about the origins of the company. It was founded by John Searcy, who began in Dallas, Texas in the back of a red Studebaker pickup in 1952. Nice little bit of trivia. And a cool looking battery hold down.