PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Polairity Issue

STUNT KARZ
08-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I should know this but I'm having a brain fart at the moment,:o

Now keep in mind this car hasn't been started in years.:ohmy:

I installed a new 6 volt battery, I noticed that the positive post is slightly larger than the negative.

The starter/coil/ignition cable terminal on the car ( appears to be a NOS replacement) IS larger than the

the ground cable ( appears to be original ) which is clearly smaller.

This would leave one to believe that the car is a negative ground and in fact I tested it ( briefly ) in that mode

and everything lit up and I could get crank.

I then reversed the teminals putting it back to the positive ground we know

the 55 Champion to be. Once again everything lit up and I could get crank.

I have fuel, now I just have to test for spark. That's the great thing about our early cars. Simple. No OBD meter required. :lol:

My question is, has anyone experienced any issues as a result of "accidentially" reversing the polarity? :oops:

A second separate issues is does anyone know the routing of the backup lights on the 55 Champion? :confused:
For reasons I have no idea, the previous owner removed the backup light wiring. I suspect he had planned to redo them and never got around to it. He had already done extensive replacment of many wires. The entire under-dash appears to have been replaced with a factory harness including the gauges. The trunk was loaded with plenty of spare parts but they are all used and not in as nice of condition as the ones on the car. If anyone has a schematic of the backup lights that they can post here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Of all the many car associations I'm a part of, this has been the very best. :!!:

tbirdtbird
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
the car will start and run either way. If there is an ammeter it will show charging with the engine running if the polarity is correct, else it will show discharge.
In fact, just putting on the headlites (with the engine off) and looking to see if the ammeter shows discharge will demonstrate the correct polarity

RadioRoy
08-18-2013, 06:23 PM
The old relays and solenoids in our cars do not care about polarity. You should polarize the generator before starting the engine so that you don't damage the voltage regulator.

When you get into newer electronics, transistors, diodes, LEDs, solid-state whatever components, then polarity matters. Applying reverse polarity to many solid state devices will cause instant and irreversible death to those devices.

Dick Steinkamp
08-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Here's the back up lite wiring diagram...

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/images/55acc-wire.jpg

Here's the basic wiring diagram...

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/images/55-wire.jpg

Once you have clicked on the link, click on the wiring diagram to enlarge them.

These are from Chuck Collins web site...

http://www.studebakerparts.com/

A great guy with most of the parts you will need.

Other vendors are here....

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Before you go much further you will want the shop manual and the parts manual from one of these vendors.

jclary
08-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Well...again, being that this is a Champion, it is likely that some previous owner got those "optional" back up lights at the same time he got those "fog" lights. Very possible that they were put on and then he never got around to wiring them up.

You really need to get the shop, body, and chassis manuals for your car. My shop manuals have wiring diagrams that are great when making repairs and tracing circuits.

As far as the "polarity" issue...there is a very simple procedure for "polarizing" your generator. I think the shop manual will explain it. I do it so rarely, that I have to refer to the manual to refresh my memory. The only caveat to the so called "simple" procedure is that you need to know if the generator is "internal" or "external" grounded. The procedure is different between the two types. Perhaps some of the experts here will know without having to drag out the books.

jclary
08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Funny:lol:...when I started typing my first post in this thread, no one had offered a reply. However, that also happened to be the time my wife comes in the room and decides it's time for a little "quality chat" on subjects ranging from the upcoming college football season, pre-season football, who's injured, who's doing well, the weather, and several additional subjects to which I attempted to feign attentiveness!:rolleyes:

By the time I hit the "submit" button...the answers had been supplied, and I feel kinda dumb (er).:o I wonder how many others have this "multitasking" dilemma thrust upon them and how you handle it.:confused:

(deviated thread alert):oops:

tbirdtbird
08-18-2013, 07:29 PM
As far as I know Studes were Delco based generators and they are all internally grounded. Do the headlite test as mentioned above, that tells you the correct polarity, then polarize the gen briefly. As far as I know you won't harm the VR if you don't, but it may not charge correctly. You are re-magnetizing the pole shoes in the gen in the correct N-S direction.

Take a short jumper wire and with the engine not running, jump the wire to BAT and ARM terminals on the VR so that you get a brief spark. It is a harmless procedure.

It was always Ford that came up with weird stuff like externally grounded and other weirdo stuff because they didn't want to pay royalties. If they couldn't come up with a reverse-engineered mongrel of their own, they just stole technology outright, like Bill Gates, such as when they stole the McPherson 3-point tractor hitch and never paid him a dime....they had the lawyers and he didn't. To this day no one has been able to improve on the McPherson design.

Skip Lackie
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Funny:lol:...when I started typing my first post in this thread, no one had offered a reply. However, that also happened to be the time my wife comes in the room and decides it's time for a little "quality chat" on subjects ranging from the upcoming college football season, pre-season football, who's injured, who's doing well, the weather, and several additional subjects to which I attempted to feign attentiveness!:rolleyes:

By the time I hit the "submit" button...the answers had been supplied, and I feel kinda dumb (er).:o I wonder how many others have this "multitasking" dilemma thrust upon them and how you handle it.:confused:

(deviated thread alert):oops:
Me, too -- many times. And I don't handle it any better than you did. In fact, I probably handle it worse-ly, but ignoring it. I assume most people who notice it will just conclude that I'm a moron.