Good thing Rocker panels were in the budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing Rocker panels were in the budget

Even worse than I expected when I opened them up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1498.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1740295

I know that "The Right Way" to remove rockers, other sheet metal etc. is to drill out the spot weld... But if the part is not to be saved, the Merlin Method is an air chisel.

Name:	IMAG1499.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1740296

I then angle grinder wire brushed any scale off.

Name:	IMAG1502.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1740297

And brushed on a coat of Master Series primer/sealer.

Name:	IMAG1510.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1740298

Two hours and two rocker panels ready for UPS from Classic Enterprises.

Going to be a nice one when finished.Thanks for the updates.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

You're 'Gettin It Done'!!! Very nice work.

Comment

bob40... My target is just a high driver that I can put 10,000 to 15,000 a year on. On a restore, I take many, many cell phone pictures before so I can remember where to place that wire or bracket when we are putting it back together, during I take pictures so I can remember how to do it the next time and after so I can pat myself on the back for what I've done.

The posts are simply to share the "how" I used to perhaps help someone else know what to do or what not to do. In some cases I'm sure the certified mechanics/rebuilders get their daily laughs off of my approach.

They didn't teach car restoration in CPA school. They did teach me how to do budgets and Gantt charts so they are as much of my approach to restoration as Liquid Wrench, HVLP and base Clearcoat.

Comment

Merlin,
          If you are going to weld those, you'll need to clean off the primer sealer, and get some weld thru primer and spray on there. If you are going to glue the rockers back on with panel bond, you'll still need to clean off all the primer sealer.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

I'll:
            1) punch holes for plug welds in the rockers
            2) Align with self tapping screws
            3) Mark the plug holes on the inner rocker
            4) Clear MS from the the marks.
            5) Spray weld through at those locations.
            6) Plug weld
            7) Grind plugs smooth

Used this technique on the Champ and it worked great while sealing the rest of the inner rocker. Also, inside of the Rocker panel will be MS coated before being attached.

Comment

Rocker panels arrived yesterday.

This AM I de-greased them and coated the inside with Master Series.

Name:	IMAG1537.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1683338 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1541.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1683339

Sanded the threshold and bottom inner rocker panel for weld; applied weld through primer.

Name:	IMAG1540.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1683340 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1544.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1683341

Punched plug weld holes in the bottom lip of the rocker

Name:	IMAG1548.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1683342

Clamped and temp screwed into location

Name:	IMAG1550.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1683343

Tack welded the rocker to the threshold and plug welded the bottom lip to the inner rocker panel.

Name:	IMAG1558.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1683344 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1561.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1683345

Ground threshold welds smooth. And, coated threshold with fiberglass bondo to seal

Name:	IMAG1563.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1683346 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1562.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1683347

< 2 hours...

Comment

Beautiful work, Merlin. Congratulations. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob for the compliment but my work is all pretty amateur. My intent is simply to visually document with the thought that perhaps.. just perhaps... it may give someone else a better idea on how to do their project.

Comment

One thing's for sure....You don't waste any time!

Comment

I hope you did not use Copper Coat as weld through primer! As it's not!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

The Gantt chart says I need to Epoxy Prime, base and clear those parts of the shell that will not be color sanded: firewall, door jams, door perimeter, trunk inside, inside of fender vents and gas tank filler hole before remounting the shell to frame. And, I plan to remount next week .... if I can get the rest of the under coat off and the bottom sealed.

So, rockers were a pleasant arrival that I hadn't scheduled to see until next week that needed to fall in to the above schedule and one more block on the Gantt now marked off.

I'm going to violate the LA firewall and under hood color conventions because dark engine holes don't show off the power plant.... Ivory to the engine compartment... not Pimlico gray.. sorry purists... Got the Ivory yesterday and have the epoxy and clear coat left over from previous. I won't be high build surfacer and block these items.

Comment

52_Ragtop... No grabbed the wrong can for the picture.

Comment

OK Glad to hear that!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                              The posts are simply to share the "how" I used to perhaps help someone else know what to do or what not to do. In some cases I'm sure the certified mechanics/rebuilders get their daily laughs off of my approach.
                              I'm a certified mechanic and think you're doing a fantastic job so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X