Olds Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olds Power

Here's an article from 1959 on putting an Old's motor in your Stude . Back when I was in my early 20's I worked in a yard that had 1 53 studie all stripped out with the roof cut off it had a Caddy Eldorado v-8 in it with the dual 4 barrels and it had sat for a long time . I finally decided one day to see if it would start and run. the throttle had one position wide open. after a Hugh amount of tire smoke and scaring the holy h*ll out of myself I parked it and never ran it again.
    There were two or three Olds with the V-8's in them just sitting out in the weather one with tri-power "but" I owned a 56 Chevy with a 327 at the time so heavy iron like that didn't mean anything to me ,just think if I'd of kept some of that stuff tell today $$$$$$$$.

We also got in a 57 Olds convertible one day and it ran and I took it for a spin ,no body told me the motor mounts were broke with the gas pedal stuck to the floor I came to the back of the yard and the end of the road real quick I cranked the steering wheel and spun it out and say the drivers door a signal oil truck go pass my face 3 times before the engine dropped down and died.

I never cared much for the big boat J-2's and stuff but I gained a lot more respect for them after that, CAN YOU IMAGINE a 53 Studie Champion coupe with a Olds J-2 in it . "WOW" ,

In the late 1950s-early 1960s, there were quite a few Oldsmobile powered street rods around here. The availability of near free Olds V8s was the reason. Texaco Research Center in Glenham NY was using Olds V8s for tests. When they were done with them, they would take them to a scrap yard down by the Hudson River. When word got out, young guys would go down there and get these near new engines. After Texaco found out, they started to take a sledge hammer to the blocks before taking them to the scrap yard. I know one guy that got several of these engines. He now has the big "A" so he would no longer remember. I do remember a 1953 Commander Starliner with an Olds V8 that was in this area for many years.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, the Olds into Stude conversions were very popular....usually with the J2 manifold thrown in the mix. I believe Olds engines of this vintage had an engine mount dead center under the vibration damper, and of course that had to be dealt with when installing this engine in a Studebaker. A popular transmission adapter at the time (Ansen?) mated this engine to the T-86, by the way.

Comment

Very good engines, and a 64-64 394 ci would be one of the best choices. Just make sure you replace that cast iron flywheel with steel or aluminum before racing it.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by JunkYardDog View Post

CAN YOU IMAGINE a 53 Studie Champion coupe with a Olds J-2 in it . "WOW" ,
          Well...my very first Rod...'28 five window model-A coupe, was powered by one! Back in 1964...painted white with red flames...engine connected by way of a J.C. Whitney adapter plate to a top loader three speed Lincoln tranny.

...And I survived!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

At the time that there was a 1953 Starliner with an Oldsmobile engine in it in this area, I had a 1953 Commander Starliner with a 43K mile 1957 Golden Hawk engine in it.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

IIRC, on ebay about a year ago, there was a 55 C/K with vintage, Olds V8 power. I also recall a 55 up in SB a few years ago with a vintage Caddy V8. I can really appreciate old school innovations like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                IIRC, on ebay about a year ago, there was a 55 C/K with vintage, Olds V8 power. I also recall a 55 up in SB a few years ago with a vintage Caddy V8. I can really appreciate old school innovations like that.
                The Olds 'ROCKET' had a sound all its own!

Comment

yeah a sound like this

Check my new channel where I'm going to upload my new videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/V8AmericanMuscleCar/videos
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                  X