No announcement yet.

Bellcrank to Shaft Install challenge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bellcrank to Shaft Install challenge.

Just throwing this out there for help.....I'm installing my rebuilt center shaft to bellcrank set up. I can hardly get the bellcrank onto the shaft on the bench let alone attempt to install on the front X-member with crossover pipe and engine pan constraints.....I've sanded, oiled and wedged a chisel into the bellcrank split, but I see a very tough install once set into place from my creeper position... I have had to pry them separate when removing, but this looks like a tough one.......Heat ??

I had the same problem this spring.... used emery cloth and oil to clean up both the shaft and bell crank mating surfaces, and then made a metal wedge with a very minor taper and hammered it into the bell crank split. I had to make two wedges because the first one had waaay too much wedge, the second one only had about 4 or 5 thousands of an inch taper over a length of about 3/4". It's amazing how little I had to spread the bell crank split to make it slide over the shaft with just my hands and wiggling, no other force req'd. Worked for me, hope it works for you. I guess you could try lotsa heat too, but I didn't want to mess up the finish on my new oil pan with the torch. Good luck, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
      I had the same problem this spring.... used emery cloth and oil to clean up both the shaft and bell crank mating surfaces, and then made a metal wedge with a very minor taper and hammered it into the bell crank split. I had to make two wedges because the first one had waaay too much wedge, the second one only had about 4 or 5 thousands of an inch taper over a length of about 3/4". It's amazing how little I had to spread the bell crank split to make it slide over the shaft with just my hands and wiggling, no other force req'd. Worked for me, hope it works for you. I guess you could try lotsa heat too, but I didn't want to mess up the finish on my new oil pan with the torch. Good luck, Junior.
      Agree, If you are lucky you'll have a cold chisel with a taper close enough to use. As Junior says, it doesn't take much.

Remember to have the radius for the through bolt close to where it belongs, It makes it easier to do the alignment necessary if you can see where the radius is.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Agree, If you are lucky you'll have a cold chisel with a taper close enough to use. As Junior says, it doesn't take much.

Bob
        duh...why didn`t I think of that????? perhaps changing your forum handle from sweetolbob to wiseolbob would apply here?
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

success ......had the chisel and worked well.....seems once the bellcrank started on the shaft all went a bit easier......

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            duh...why didn`t I think of that????? perhaps changing your forum handle from sweetolbob to wiseolbob would apply here?
            After 50 or so years of leaving blood and flesh on them, you tend to remember better but I must hurry before CRS gets to those memories. Thanks for the thought, Junior.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X