22 reasons to not mask over and paint around trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 reasons to not mask over and paint around trim

I'll admit to masking over difficult to remove trim on a car that was being prepped for auction and a quick flip. But on a keeper like the Speedster the trim must come off before paint. Imagine what this clip and everything around it would look like in 10 years if I hadn't !

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1493.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1740275

good job!!!

another reason not to take shortcuts - especially on "keepers"!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Removing all the trim is a PITA, and an even bigger PITA to put it back on. Plus, each retainer costs money, and each trim piece should be cleaned, front & back. However, its the only to go with a keeper.

Picking up a car on fleabay with a fresh paint job is definitely a gamble, cause most folks think just like we do. Most any car being "flipped" has had every short cut taken that is imaginable, though they usually look good at first blush.

Looks like yours is definitely a keeper

Comment

I always tell people NOT to buy new-painted cars, so ofcourse they buy new-painted cars... done up for one reason only: to get sold 'cause it's to much work for the ex owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
          I always tell people NOT to buy new-painted cars, so ofcourse they buy new-painted cars... done up for one reason only: to get sold 'cause it's to much work for the ex owner.
          I agree. When I bought my Land Cruiser on EBay I could see the trouble spots because the paint was old. It has turned out to have about the same amount of rust that I estimated from the extensive EBay photos. I stripped it to bare metal and just recently got it painted for my daughter's wedding next Saturday. What a lot of work but it's worth it.
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to paint the metal clips with POR 15 first either. More work & $$$ but in the long run well worth it.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
              I'll admit to masking over difficult to remove trim on a car that was being prepped for auction and a quick flip. But on a keeper like the Speedster the trim must come off before paint. Imagine what this clip and everything around it would look like in 10 years if I hadn't !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26719[/ATTACH]
              Definitely true! On a newer car without corrosion, one may be able to get away with masking hard to remove items with better results......but when You have corrosion around moulding clips such as the one in this picture, dis-assembly is definitely required!

Comment

....then there's the problem of not stripping several layers of previous 50+ years of paint. If you don't strip under the clips....you might not get them back on....!

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  ....then there's the problem of not stripping several layers of previous 50+ years of paint. If you don't strip under the clips....you might not get them back on....!
                  Yep, Out in LA, We painted a Bentley many, many years ago, we were the first ones who decided to strip off the paint! there were 17 paint jobs on it, enough that some of the body lines were smoothed over!
                  The results were unreal, and the owner never knew that it had so many body lines!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Re: 22 reasons to not mask over and paint around trim

Upon looking at the title, I figured there would be a list of the 22 reasons.After I thought about it for a while it hit me-There are 22 clips that hold the side trim to each side of my Daytona.And YES I went outside and counted them.That's either coincidence, or somebody has a sense of humor!

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                      There are 22 clips that hold the side trim to each side of my Daytona.And YES I went outside and counted them.That's either coincidence......
                      No coincidence. That's how many clips under the side trim that I counted on the Speedster more or less. I just concluded there were 22 opportunities for problems if I hadn't pulled the side trim. Since I plan on driving it another 58 years, I'm sure the opportunities would each materialize.

The point of the post is that looking at the trim on the outside, it buffed up as nice as new but who'd a thought it could be that bad underneath.

Comment

You have to paint the trim mount holes as well as the clips BEFORE assembly! Both the clip hole and clip can rust if not coated with paint. On my 56J the trim was mounted before primer and paint, once all parts aligned we removed trim and mounting clips, primed and painted. Then after all parts had been painted we assembled..... no bare metal and rust streaks, inside or out.

Plan ahead for problem areas... it pays!
                        It is an addiction!

Comment

more "FRESH PAINT WOES". Did any of you see the photos of those big buck auction cars in Scottsdale a few years ago AFTER the tent fell on them There was some Bondo at least an inch or more thick in some of the fenders. BUYER BEWARE!

Comment

Bondo is like Oxycodone. You have to know when to stop.

1/8" is max at the deepest of spots on the deepest of repairs. I pulled the only dent on the shell of the Speedster today and believe I'm under the 1/8" rule on Bondo.

When I got into the Champ it must have had a gallon on each rear fender. They looked like they'd been in a demolition derby. Wire brushed it off and Bondo skimmed them.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
                              I agree. When I bought my Land Cruiser on EBay I could see the trouble spots because the paint was old. It has turned out to have about the same amount of rust that I estimated from the extensive EBay photos. I stripped it to bare metal and just recently got it painted for my daughter's wedding next Saturday. What a lot of work but it's worth it.
                              Jim - how about a photo or two of that reborn LC and it's really nice door window trim???
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X