Windshield Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Windshield Gasket

My 1948 Land Cruiser has a chrome strip in the gasket of the one-piece windshield and the two-piece rear window. Do I insert that chrome strip into the gasket before I install the glass or after I install the glass?

Thanks,

Joe

The stainless trim is installed after the window is installed. The front window installed from the inside of the car.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

If you search "tech tips, specs and data" off the main page, there you will find the instructions. I believe I found it under Bob Johnstones tips. It involves putting a heavy cord in the opening the reveal molding will go into. Only problem is it does not tell if you are supposed to do this before or after windshield installation. I will be attempting this installation in the next month myself on my '52.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
        The front window installed from the inside of the car.
        This is very important. A "professional" glass guy will insist that this is incorrect, because he never saw another car like this, but 47-52 Studebaker windshields install from the inside, like Perry says.

The shop manual just says to install the reveal molding after installing the windshield, but does not give any good suggestions on how to accomplish that feat. It's one of the few instances where the tech writers let us down some 65 years ago.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This reference can help:

Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment