Nice GH but........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice GH but........

This is a very nice '56 and maybe this has been talked about before on the forum? However, why in the world would one go to this expense and short cut the engine? Interesting how they try to pass this off as a a plus, but without a blower it does not even have the '57 or '56 GH power.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    This is a very nice '56 and maybe this has been talked about before on the forum? However, why in the world would one go to this expense and short cut the engine? Interesting how they try to pass this off as a a plus, but without a blower it does not even have the '57 or '56 GH power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...t_25547wt_1182
    It really depends on what the buyer is looking for...as a museum piece this car isn't even close....As a great driver/local show car.....well, it truly would be better car than the Packard engine/Twin Ultramatic version.
    Last edited by SN-60; 08-17-2013, 06:31 AM. Reason: added "local show car"

Comment

Depending on the selling price, since the real expensive & time consuming work has already been done, it would not be hard to put the right drive train back in it. At least for someone like me, who has a couple of 352's and T85s just laying around anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Depending on the selling price, since the real expensive & time consuming work has already been done, it would not be hard to put the right drive train back in it. At least for someone like me, who has a couple of 352's and T85s just laying around anyway.
        And then put it into a museum?

Comment

Yes, all the non-stock modifications it would be a nice driver. However, the copywriting suggests a reserve price more in line with a 399 point restored show car than a "restomod."

above all, the restorers removed the nose heavy qualities that come along with heavy '56 Packard drive train/weight issue by installing a much lighter rebuilt 289 Studebaker motor/transmission.
          That's a flatly incorrect assertion. I'd like to smack the copywriter for perpetuating the myth that the Studebaker V8 is "much lighter" than the Packard V8. There's not fifteen pounds difference between the two.

To me, and possibly to Joe, the loss of originality and especially the Packard horsepower and torque wasn't a positive trade-off.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Yes, all the non-stock modifications it would be a nice driver. However, the copywriting suggests a reserve price more in line with a 399 point restored show car than a "restomod."

That's a flatly incorrect assertion. I'd like to smack the copywriter for perpetuating the myth that the Studebaker V8 is "much lighter" than the Packard V8. There's not fifteen pounds difference between the two.

To me, and possibly to Joe, the loss of originality and especially the Packard horsepower and torque wasn't a positive trade-off.

jack vines
            The weight issue DOES come into play here Jack....As the Packard engine was installed well forward of the 'designed and engineered for that chassis ' Studebaker V8 engine location.

Comment

At least they didn't go with the SBC.....

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                At least they didn't go with the SBC.....
                Yes, like the mods or not, at least they kept the car all S-P!

Comment

The car is near me, but I have yet to go look at it. It's on their website for (sit down now....) $37,855.

Even my wife said "I can't believe they want that much for a non-original car". Especially since she saw the one on Velocity sell at auction for $15K. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...1&entryRow=173
                  Last edited by pbrown; 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
                    The car is near me, but I have yet to go look at it. It's on their website for (sit down now....) $37,855.

Even my wife said "I can't believe they want that much for a non-original car". Especially since she saw the one on Velocity sell at auction for $15K.
                    Does seem a bit high. But as far as the price goes...one can always come down on price, but one really can't go back up. (Got to start somewhere!)

Comment

Its a very nice car, and I can see a ton of money someone has put into it; I'd say way north of $20,000. Whoever buys it can do as they want, but its ready for show & go as is. Most folks, i.e. at cruise-ins, don't nit-pick one to death, as we tend to do here. Either drive train would work well, I am just partial to 352s, and happen to have enough stuff to put that one back to OEM. Excepting maybe Jack V and I, most folks would probably find it more feasible to just drive and enjoy as is, since the Packard stuff is hard to find, and can be hard to set up right initially.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        Its a very nice car, and I can see a ton of money someone has put into it; I'd say way north of $20,000. Whoever buys it can do as they want, but its ready for show & go as is. Most folks, i.e. at cruise-ins, don't nit-pick one to death, as we tend to do here. Either drive train would work well, I am just partial to 352s, and happen to have enough stuff to put that one back to OEM. Excepting maybe Jack V and I, most folks would probably find it more feasible to just drive and enjoy as is, since the Packard stuff is hard to find, and can be hard to set up right initially.
                        Very well said! If this car still had the Packard, leave it in there. (except for maybe the Twin Ultramatic) But since it's been converted...and it looks like someone tried to do a nice job...once again...leave it be and enjoy!

Comment

Trunk and door gaps look BAD. It looks like you'd have to lift the passenger side door to close it. I wonder if the window is rolled up all the way? I also notice there is NO pics of the drivers side,which would be the worst side as far as door and glass alignment.[I'll stick with the c-bodies,I guess!]
                          Last edited by 52hawk; 08-17-2013, 09:16 AM.
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

$30000 56 golden hawk in my view should not have any flaws we can find on pictures or video. If you what to convince someone of engine at least paint it the red for 56 Golden hawks and use the side mounted oil bath air filter the trunk inside color is gloss grey the rubber gas line from pump to car. The interior on video looks nice. In the video states car was to be for a collection the previous owner was going to have of original cars was off to poor start with this car far from being original restoration . That being said I would not mind having it in my garage.

Comment

The weight issue DOES come into play here Jack....As the Packard engine was installed well forward of the 'designed and engineered for that chassis ' Studebaker V8 engine location.
                              To be technically correct, the Packard engine starts at exactly the same rearward point as the Studebaker V8. The extra 15# just goes 4.5" farther forward and .65" higher. On the '57-58 GHs, supercharger and bracketry is more than 15# and 4.5" forward and higher, so it's moot.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X