Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Champ followed me home last weekend (8-10-2013) Should I fix it or part it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Champ followed me home last weekend (8-10-2013) Should I fix it or part it out?

The Champ had been on the local Craiglist website for several weeks and I finally called the owner when he lowered the asking price to less than half as originally advertised. I looked it over and decided it was still more than I wanted to pay for it, but decided since I was already there with a trailer that I may as well bring it home.
    The Champ was parked amongst many late model vehicles at a salvage yard and two vehicles had to be forklifted out of the way to retrieve it. As these were being moved, I found a bedliner for my Ford F-150 in a wrecked Ford nearby. I asked the owner how much he wanted for it, and he said I could have it for free! I like bonuses! The downside to the Champ (other than extensive rust) is that the grill (from a 1964 Champ) is broken and the fuel tank is damaged from the salvage yard's forklift. I need some of it's parts for a 1963 Champ project (windshield and front body panels) but I am tempted to put a 170 engine back in this rig and drive it around my homestead. The bed is not too bad but the cab floors, rockers and cab corners are gone. What would you do with a Champ in this condition?

Later that same day, I brought home a 1963 Cruiser parts car that I bought from fellow forum member Evilhawk. I need to decide what I want to keep and then try to sell or trade any remaining parts (interior, trim, etc.).
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    What would you do with a Champ in this condition?
    With a clear title, fix it up......no title, parts truck.
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

No title, but I do have a title from the Cruiser that I could potentially title it with....
      sigpic

Comment

you could always cut the rear end off the Cruiser and drop the champs box onto it. That way you would have a titled pickup err cruiseamino.

Comment

Hey why not? Even if she ends up parts truck in the end, why not let her have a last harrah? You could put the front panel off off the cruiser on this bad boy, that way you keep the front clip you wanted, and might make titling it as a cruiser seem more legit.

Comment

Brent. I bought a rust free champ earlier this summer but with the wife's cancer issues I haven't been able to pick it up and it's in AR. Last message I got from the guy he was getting ready to resell it so I may not still own it. This is what I had in mind for it.

Comment

Don't throw those titles out, I need one. I put a Champ cab on a '73 Dodge PU frame, and built a flat bed for it, but it's titled as a Dodge. I'd like to find a Champ title and license it as a Studebaker instead! I'm not even fussy about what year title!!!
              Corley

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                Brent. I bought a rust free champ earlier this summer but with the wife's cancer issues I haven't been able to pick it up and it's in AR. Last message I got from the guy he was getting ready to resell it so I may not still own it. This is what I had in mind for it.
                Hi Steve, is your wife okay now or is she going through treatment? Best of luck to her.
                As for your Champ, you may want to contact Peg Transport for a free shipping quote. It may cost around $800 to get it shipped, but at least you would have it then. I like the appearance of the yellow 'Chark' you have pictured, it's something Studebaker maybe should have built. I think I will put an engine in my rusty Champ and use it for off-road purposes for a while, mostly for fun.
                sigpic

Comment

Brent. Looks like they got everything and she's still going thru chemo but getting better. That stuff is really nasty wouldn't wish that on anyone. Most of my time this spring and summer has been spend running her to doctors and down to mlps. for treatments.
                  Last edited by swvalcon; 08-18-2013, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I pushed the Champ up to my garage tonight and removed the left-rear tire as it doesn't hold air. Mounted a good used 17 year old tire back onto the rim before dark and now it can roll again. I intend to pull out what is left of the engine (the head and intake are missing as are two pistons & rods) tomorrow and maybe remove a running engine from a '63 Lark parts car tomorrow also. Though more than likely, I will get distracted by some other project/task and only accomplish half of my goal.
                    sigpic

Comment

I supposed the Champ has the usual rust problems on its floor. If you do part out the Cruiser & if it's floors are good why not splice them into the Champ? It has the popular chrome grille with Studebaker pressed in the bottom. Glass looks decent too.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

As I understand it Studebaker took a 4 dr lark and cut it off and added the rear cab panel then put it on a truck frame and added a butt ugly dodge box to build the champ.

Comment

The Dodge box came along for the 1961 model year. All of the 1960 and many of the 1961 Champs have the older style box as mine has. The only good body panels on the Cruiser are the hood, trunk lid and roof as everything else is very rusty....as is the bottom 4 inches of the Champ cab.
                          sigpic

Comment

Other than the hole in the one fender your box looks fairly good. How is the box floor? You could maybe sell the box for more than you payed for the truck and put a flat bed on it.

Comment

Too bad your not closer. I have a good 60 Lark parts car that would be perfect for all the rusted parts on that Champ except of course for the l/r fender. It's even white! LOL
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X