1987 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Avanti

Has anyone ever seen this 1987 Avanti in Cleveland TN?

Good example of.......... "There's NOTHING more expensive than a CHEAP Avanti"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You might be a bit harsh there. If you can get it cheap enough, it might be an interesting project...if it is mechanically okay. I saw one sell at auction for $16,000...so if you can do the work yourself, it makes sense. If not, well...no.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
        You might be a bit harsh there. If you can get it cheap enough, it might be an interesting project...if it is mechanically okay. I saw one sell at auction for $16,000...so if you can do the work yourself, it makes sense. If not, well...no.
        It's just that when I saw the picture of the dashboard out of the car.......................................!!

Comment

This is an early 1987 model (the 11th car made). I was the original owner of car no. 6, so I know a little bit about them. The cars improved as Kelly went along in building them.
          The early cars had the rear wheels off about two inches from center of the wheel opening, but this particular car looks extreme (like something is wrong there).
          I believe that you would be upside down in this car at the opening bid plus a paint job and some interior work, let alone whatever else it needs (not to mention shipping).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My understanding...someone please correct me if this is incorrect...that convertible tops and their mechanisms are different for 1987 than following years. If that's true, one-year only features make future repairs more of a headache.

If the car needs paint and bodywork...you can count on all kinds of otherwise invisible issues to become visible once the body is stripped and prepped. It's just the nature of a fiberglass car. BTDT.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
            X